- A very British dream | Richard Seymour on Patreon
- “Problem number one for the Conservatives is that they no longer have any idea how to administer capitalism. No viable long-term growth strategy avails. They can’t address the financial sector without hurting their allies in the City. They can’t address the crisis of productivity and investment without more state intervention than they’re willing to accept. They can’t address the housing crisis or the precarious debt-driven economy without harming the interests of home owners. They can’t build new support in the rustbelts on an anti-immigrant basis, without sacrificing affluent swing voters and particularly ethnic minority voters in big cities and marginals.”
(tags: Politics conservatives may brexit)
- We Don’t Do That Here
- A neutral-sounding way to inform someone that they’ve crossed a line.
(tags: community morality)
- A Bluer Shade of White Chapter 1, a frozen fanfic | FanFiction
- Do you want to build a self-modifying snowman?
(tags: Singularity fiction story frozen olaf)
- Brexit As Expressed Through The Medium Of Aliens Quotes.: gonzo21
- “Newt: We’d better get back ’cause it’ll be dark soon and Theresa May mostly comes at night. Mostly.”
- Why Stop Funding Hate deserves answers – Creative Review
- “The Stop Funding Hate campaign is gaining traction and giving brands difficult decisions to make.” If you want something you can do, this is something you can do.
(tags: daily-mail newspapers hate daily-express politics)
- Why the economy can’t explain Trump or Brexit – OpenLearn – Open University
- Authoritarian social attitudes and the rate of change of minority population in an area are better predictors of Trump/Brexit voting than poverty.
(tags: trump brexit psychology authoritarianism politics)
- Responding to Tim Keller’s “Making Sense of God” Talk
- A shorter and better version than my own rebuttal of the book the talk was based on.
(tags: tim-keller Religion philosophy Atheism)
- The President and the bomb | Restricted Data
- The US military won’t stop a president from using nuclear weapons, the system is designed to make sure they can do so, not to prevent them.
(tags: politics military nuclear president)
- Charles I, Brexit and the Royal Prerogative
- A Queen’s Counsel on recent court decision and the royal prerogative. The post has the QC who wrote it answering questions: it sounds like the Government’s referendum leaflets promised something they didn’t have the power to deliver without Parliament’s approval.
(tags: brexit law court prerogative)
- Bit Twiddling Hacks
- A collection of code snippets for doing useful things (sign extension, determine whether a number is a power of two, and so on).
(tags: bit-twiddling programming algorithms c hacks twiddling)
- Anti-Brexit traitors outed on twitter
- UKIP voters in “shit thick” shocker. Also features Louise Mensch.
(tags: twitter ukip funny brexit satire)
- Horse! | Start here: See horse, Say Horse! – The Rules of Horse!
(tags: funny game horse)
- Fintan O’Toole: Brexit fantasy is about to come crashing down
- “Brexit is not so much a peasants’ revolt as a deeply strange peasants’ – and – landlords’ revolt.
It is a Downton Abbey fantasy of toffs and servants all mucking in together. But when the toffs, as the slogan goes, “take back control”, the underlings will quickly discover that a fantasy is exactly what it is.
The disaffected working- class voter in Sunderland, rightly angry about being economically marginalised and politically disenfranchised, will wait in vain for the magical billions that are supposedly going to be repatriated from Brussels to drop from the clear blue skies of a free England.”
(tags: britain eu brexit referendum politics)
- There are liars and then there’s Boris Johnson and Michael Gove | Nick Cohen | Opinion | The Guardian
- ‘The Brexit figureheads had no plan besides exploiting populist fears and dismissing experts who rubbished their thinking.’
(tags: brexit eu Politics referendum)
- Worrying Signs
- Recording post-referendum incidents of racism. Not all leavers are racist, but all th racists voted leave, and now they think they’ve won.
(tags: eu referendum Politics racism brexit)
- I want my country back
- Laurie Penny, you magnificent bastard: “When all you have is a hammer, every problem starts to look like David Cameron’s face.”
(tags: brexit Politics referendum eu)
- “I want to stop something exploitative, divisive and dishonest” — conversation with a Leaver — Medium
- Interesting discussion between a young Remainer and his Lexiter father.
(tags: eu referendum Politics lexit brexit)
- Why the Article 50 notification is important – Jack of Kent blog
- Cameron has not formally notified the EU of our intention to leave. Boris says there’s no hurry. Perhaps it will never happen?
(tags: eu europe referendum brexit)
- Lord Ashcroft on Twitter: “More from my 12k referendum-day poll on how leavers and remainers see the world differently: https://t.co/VgQ7Z6v9XK”
- How the referendum leavers and remainers view the world. Not particularly surprising, but nice to see some actual evidence.
(tags: referendum opinion eu europe brexit)
- Brexit | Legally and constitutionally, what now? – Public Law for Everyone
- Ian Clark on Twitter: “Interesting comment on FB. Think it might be spot on. https://t.co/r9hCKUZN2Y”
- An argument that Cameron has passed on a poisoned chalice to his successor, which is why Boris looks so glum: nobody will ever push the Article 50 button, because it’s political suicide, but not doing so is also political suicide.
(tags: brexit politics referendum europe cameron)