- Hume is the amiable, modest, generous philosopher we need today | Aeon Essays
- Hume believed we were nothing more or less than human: that’s why he’s the amiable, modest, generous philosopher we need now
(tags: philosophy hume)
- Ask HN: Which books have made you introspect? | Hacker News
- Someone does mention Jordan Peterson the woo-meister, but the rest sound interesting.
(tags: books introspection philosophy)
- Doc Searls Weblog · GDPR will pop the adtech bubble
- Interesting distinction between adtech and advertising.
(tags: gdpr advertising law privacy)
- Ask HN: Best way to learn modern C++? | Hacker News
- Thread with book and video recommendations
(tags: c++ programming)
- Epistemic extremism – UseOfReason
- Contra Internet (“shoe”) atheism: I don’t need to be able to prove a thing to you before I can rationally believe it.
(tags: philosophy belief epistemology Atheism proof)
- Compressing and enhancing hand-written notes
- How Office Lens might do it, but open source. Introduces various colour spaces.
(tags: images python colour RGB HSV)
- Simulating Religion: A Christian takes stock of Silicon Valley’s rationalist community by Alexi Sargeant
- A Christian takes stock of Silicon Valley’s rationalist community
(tags: lesswrong rationalism eliezer-yudkowsky Christianity philosophy transhumanism)
- How evolutionary biology makes everyone an existentialist | Aeon Essays
- “Each variant of human desire is ‘natural’, not in the sense of being required, but only of being made possible by nature. And it is in what nature makes possible, not in what it necessitates, that we should look for the answer to the question about what we should be or do.”
(tags: philosophy ethics existentialism evolution biology)
- Notes from the Intelpocalypse [LWN.net]
- A good, reasonably technical, summary of the Spectre and Meltdown attacks.
(tags: cpu hardware spectre meltdown security intel)
- Recommendations please: Is there more to Belief than Credence above a certain threshold? : askphilosophy
- Apparently, the thesis that this is all there is to belief is known as the Lockean thesis and is regarded as wrong. Some interesting references to dig into.
(tags: philosophy epistemology belief)
- Buddhism Is More ‘Western’ Than You Think – NYTimes.com
- Argues that incomprehensible gnomic sayings are a Western stereotype of what Eastern philosophy is.
(tags: meditation buddhism philosophy paradox)
- Inspiring Philosophy and the Laws of Logic: Part 1 – UseOfReason
- What could apologists be talking about when they speak of “the laws of logic”? (This is usually part of an argument that God is needed for there to be such laws). Discusses various different logics, what Godel really proved, and a bunch of other stuff.
(tags: philosophy mathematics logic presuppositionalism apologetics godel)
- Thin Pinstriped Line: The business of Remembering
- Veteran and civil servant “Sir Humphrey” on poppies: “I have grown increasingly concerned at the manner in which manufactured outrage focuses on any organisation or individual that challenges the Poppy status quo, by not wearing one. If you are wearing one only because everyone else is wearing one, then perhaps it is time to ask whether the Poppy has become a victim of its own success.
As we move into the world where we are over a century on from the events of WW1, perhaps the time has come to ask if it is time to evolve the service of Remembrance, and perhaps do it differently. I do feel that the need to remember is always appropriate, but that the means by which a simple silence has become a business and outrage outlet to sell papers is increasingly distasteful. “
(tags: war remembrance poppy politics media)
- CAN GOD’S GOODNESS SAVE THE DIVINE COMMAND THEORY FROM EUTHYPHRO?
- Koon’s paper in response to Alston’s response to the Euthyphro dilemma. tl;dr: if God is the exemplar of goodness, his goodness is not explained by his virtues (rather, vice versa). But, bracketing the virtues, why would we then say he was good?
(tags: Euthyphro euthypro-dilemma philosophy good religion)
- Why Stop Funding Hate deserves answers – Creative Review
- “The Stop Funding Hate campaign is gaining traction and giving brands difficult decisions to make.” If you want something you can do, this is something you can do.
(tags: daily-mail newspapers hate daily-express politics)
- Why the economy can’t explain Trump or Brexit – OpenLearn – Open University
- Authoritarian social attitudes and the rate of change of minority population in an area are better predictors of Trump/Brexit voting than poverty.
(tags: trump brexit psychology authoritarianism politics)
- Responding to Tim Keller’s “Making Sense of God” Talk
- A shorter and better version than my own rebuttal of the book the talk was based on.
(tags: tim-keller Religion philosophy Atheism)
- The President and the bomb | Restricted Data
- The US military won’t stop a president from using nuclear weapons, the system is designed to make sure they can do so, not to prevent them.
(tags: politics military nuclear president)
- I assert that God is omnipotent, omniscient, but also all-Evil. How would you disprove this contention? : DebateAChristian
- Someone takes Law’s Evil God Challenge over to /r/DebateAChristian, and makes a pretty good showing of it. Amusing for all the Thomists complaining that the poster doesn’t get it, without quite being able to say what it is OP doesn’t get.
(tags: theodicy stephen-law theology philosophy god good evil thomist aquinas)
- Peter Loggins – On The Importance Of Learning Other Dances Aside From The Lindy Hop : Atilio Menéndez : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive
- Loggins on how to dance at a real jazz club where most people are there to listen, and some history related to the old time ballrooms. Plus some advocacy for learning stuff other than lindy (maybe I should brush up my rusty ballroom skills).
(tags: ballroom dancing etiquette jazz lindy lindy-hop history)
- Trevor Copp and Jeff Fox: Ballroom dance that breaks gender roles | TED Talk | TED.com
- A couple of ballroom dancers who have developed various ways of switching lead/follow during the dance.
(tags: dance ballroom gender dancing waltz salsa)