- dw_news | PSA: Likely LiveJournal password compromise
- Passwords used on LiveJournal around 2014 have probably been compromised. Dreamwidth noticed because accounts where people had common passwords on both sites got hacked on DW. Use a password manager, people.
(tags: livejournal fail security password dreamwidth)
- Books in Which No Bad Things Happen | Tor.com
- A list, including contributions from commenters.
(tags: books science-fiction)
- Walks south of Cambridge
- I did one, it was nice. Bookmarking to try others.
(tags: walking hiking cambridge)
- bigH/git-fuzzy: interactive `git` with the help of `fzf`
- A CLI interface to git that relies heavily on fzf (version 0.21.0 or higher).
(tags: git productivity fzf)
- Babylon 5 Is the Greatest, Most Terrible SF Series | Tor.com
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Where Is It? – The Atlantic
- The pilot did it, apparently m
(tags: aviation malaysia mh370)
- SF For Nothing, Stories For Free – Charlie’s Diary
- A list of free SF.
(tags: reading books science-fiction)
- Strange Horizons – Freshly Remember’d: Kirk Drift By Erin Horáková
- A lengthy essay arguing that the popular image of Shatner’s Kirk isn’t what the original episodes of Star Trek portray (but that the reboot has picked up the stereotype and run with it).
(tags: star-trek kirk james-t-kirk science-fiction television)
- BENDOCKERY.COM: The Anatomy of Swing
- A series of articles with examples. The bit about “laying back” was new to me.
(tags: swing music jazz)
- The Science Behind “The Expanse” – 1/25/17 – YouTube
- A panel with Caltech scientists and people from the show.
(tags: tv the-expanse science science-fiction sci-fi physics astronomy)
- Abigail Nussbaum — Person of Interest – The Good Bits Version
- If you want just the SF bits of Person of Interest (which are great, see Peter Watts’s review) without the police procedural/victim of the week stuff, Abigail Nussbaum has a useful list of episodes to watch.
(tags: person-of-interest artificial-intelligence science-fiction television)
- “The Culture represents the place we might hope to get to” | MetaFilter
- Mefi’s discussion of the (previously linked) recently published interview with Iain M Banks (RIP). It’s good.
(tags: metafilter iain-m-banks culture sci-fi sf science-fiction discussion)
- GCHQ’s ‘jihad on tech firms’ can only fail | Technology | The Guardian
- Blaming Facebook for Lee Rigby’s murder will only lead to a breakdown in the relationship between the police and tech companies, says Ross Anderson.
(tags: gchq facebook terrorism security lee-rigby ross-anderson)
- Read The Leprechauns of Software Engineering | Leanpub
- Looks interesting, a few sample chapters on the “10 x” programmer and waterfall.
(tags: management software waterfall ebook)
- William Gibson: ‘We always think of ourselves as the cream of creation’ | Books | The Observer
- Gibson has a new book out.
(tags: william-gibson sci-fi science-fiction books review)
- The Last Chance Ragtime Band by Harry & Edna on the Wireless | Mixcloud
- Last Chance Ragtime Band on the radio, talking about playing for dancers. I knew them before they were famous.
(tags: music ragtime dancing lindyhop new-orleans)