- SF For Nothing, Stories For Free – Charlie’s Diary
- A list of free SF.
(tags: reading books science-fiction)
- Strange Horizons – Freshly Remember’d: Kirk Drift By Erin Horáková
- A lengthy essay arguing that the popular image of Shatner’s Kirk isn’t what the original episodes of Star Trek portray (but that the reboot has picked up the stereotype and run with it).
(tags: star-trek kirk james-t-kirk science-fiction television)
- BENDOCKERY.COM: The Anatomy of Swing
- A series of articles with examples. The bit about “laying back” was new to me.
(tags: swing music jazz)
- The Science Behind “The Expanse” – 1/25/17 – YouTube
- A panel with Caltech scientists and people from the show.
(tags: tv the-expanse science science-fiction sci-fi physics astronomy)
- Abigail Nussbaum — Person of Interest – The Good Bits Version
- If you want just the SF bits of Person of Interest (which are great, see Peter Watts’s review) without the police procedural/victim of the week stuff, Abigail Nussbaum has a useful list of episodes to watch.
(tags: person-of-interest artificial-intelligence science-fiction television)
- “The Culture represents the place we might hope to get to” | MetaFilter
- Mefi’s discussion of the (previously linked) recently published interview with Iain M Banks (RIP). It’s good.
(tags: metafilter iain-m-banks culture sci-fi sf science-fiction discussion)
- GCHQ’s ‘jihad on tech firms’ can only fail | Technology | The Guardian
- Blaming Facebook for Lee Rigby’s murder will only lead to a breakdown in the relationship between the police and tech companies, says Ross Anderson.
(tags: gchq facebook terrorism security lee-rigby ross-anderson)
- Read The Leprechauns of Software Engineering | Leanpub
- Looks interesting, a few sample chapters on the “10 x” programmer and waterfall.
(tags: management software waterfall ebook)
- William Gibson: ‘We always think of ourselves as the cream of creation’ | Books | The Observer
- Gibson has a new book out.
(tags: william-gibson sci-fi science-fiction books review)
- The Last Chance Ragtime Band by Harry & Edna on the Wireless | Mixcloud
- Last Chance Ragtime Band on the radio, talking about playing for dancers. I knew them before they were famous.
(tags: music ragtime dancing lindyhop new-orleans)
- Robot makes people feel like a ghost is nearby | Science/AAAS | News
- You can induce sensed presences by having a robot poke you in the back.
(tags: emotions ghosts robots psychology)
- Philosophical Disquisitions: Is there a defensible atheistic account of moral values?
- Maybe, or at least, it’s as good as a popular theistic account.
(tags: morality metaethics atheism william lane craig)
- Strange Horizons Articles: A Few Questions About the Culture: An Interview with Iain Banks, by Jude Roberts
- An old, but recently published, interview with the Iain M Banks. Via andrewducker.
(tags: iain-m-banks culture interview sci-fi science-fiction)
- The Story of Your Life by Ted Chiang
- Ted Chiang’s short about memory, time and loss. It’s also an alien first contact story.
(tags: heptapod story science-fiction time ted-chiang sci-fi language first-contact memory)
- Cambridge: Poles apart Why Warsaw beats Cambridge Blog Mike Levy
- “A weekend in Warsaw made me think about Cambridge at night. In Cambridge after 6pm the city centre empties ready for the only true night time economy: binge drinking. The Market Square alive with stall holders and shoppers at 5pm magically transforms into a ghostly empty space one hour later. It is a Cinderella midnight moment that never fails to astonish. By dusk the Cambridge ball is over and the Prince has gone home to watch T.V. Only a lonely burger van takes up residence creating a sad and soulless image that realist painter Edward Hopper could capture.” Yeah, it’s crap.
(tags: night-life drinking alcohol night cambridge warsaw)
- Why You Shouldn’t Support Operation Christmas Child | Mymumdom
- …unless you want to contribute towards evangelical Christian evangelising, of course. But apparently some schools in the UK are collecting shoeboxes of gifts for the Samaritan’s Purse organisation without fully realising what they’re about.
(tags: religion samaritans-purse christianity christmas-child christmas evangelism)
- www.me.uk RevK’s rants: Censoring the Internet
- Chap who runs an ISP goes to dinner with some MPs and discusses filtering.
(tags: politics uk porn filtering censorship isp internet)
- Unreliable research: Trouble at the lab | The Economist
- “Scientists like to think of science as self-correcting. To an alarming degree, it is not.” Talks about the problems with reproducing research.
(tags: economist journals research statistics science)
- Warning Signs in Experimental Design and Interpretation
- (tags: significance experiment maths probability research mathematics statistics science)