Skip to content
- How an Abstinence Pledge in the ’90s Shamed a Generation of Evangelicals – The New York Times
- The Christian “purity” movement promoted a strict view of abstinence before marriage. But two decades later, some followers are grappling with unforeseen aftershocks.
(tags: evangelicalism sex purity)
- How the beach ‘super-spreader’ myth may have hampered UK Covid reaction | World news | The Guardian
- “News that no outbreaks were linked to beach trips highlights important message about outdoor transmission, says expert”
(tags: pandemic coronavirus beach science)
- Kate Bingham: Why UK strategy on Covid vaccines has been a great success – la Repubblica
- “An exclusive interview by “Die Welt” and “La Repubblica” to the former Chair of the UK Government’s Vaccine Taskforce: what Boris Johnson said when he appointed her, the secrets of UK success, what Britain did and the EU didn’t, the “fake news” of doses from Germany to Britain, the future of Coronavirus vaccines, what she thinks of Sputnik, the role of Sir Patrick Vallance, why it’s correct to delay the second dose, why a global response is the only answer and why manufacturing vaccines is so complicated: “You do not build a racing car from scratch in 6 hours””
(tags: vaccination vaccine covid19 pandemic medicine)
- How I cut GTA Online loading times by 70%
- Good writeup of another possible entry in the Accidentally Quadratic tumblr (though that itself hasn’t been updated for a while).
(tags: games performance programming quadratic)
- Harry and Meghan: The union of two great houses, the Windsors and the Celebrities, is complete
- Brutal and hilarious article.
(tags: ireland britain monarchy)
- A response to: on the safety of women – Dr Reka Solymosi
- Seeing less serious incidents of harrassment with a “near miss” mindset as used in safety critical industries.
(tags: sexism safety)
- The U.K.’s Fight Against the Covid Pandemic Has Divided a Nation – The New York Times
- The war isn’t over. Pictures from the frontline.
(tags: covid19 pandemic nhs medicine UK)
- siderea | The Very Bad News [curr ev, Patreon]
- Siderea on the shock of the pandemic actually affecting you personally (and why Lefties shouldn’t disparage preppers). “The Great Shock was a wake up call. I suggest you don’t go back to sleep. I suggest that if you were caught by the Great Shock, you realize that that was because you were out of sync with reality, in a profound and dangerous way. I suggest you resolve not to be caught flat-footed like that again.”
(tags: pandemic preppers psychology)
- [Optimum Performance Settings] For all Oculus CV1 Owners – Virtual Reality (VR) / Hardware & Performance – Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums
- VR settings for Microsoft Flightsim 2020. Bumping up the “Pixels Per Display Pixel Override” makes the whole thing look sharper for me, so saving.
(tags: flightsim oculus)
- COVID-19 RESPONSE − SPRING 2021
- The UK government outlines its plan to ease COVID restrictions in England (PDF).
(tags: covid19 government)
- That XOR Trick
- Using XOR to find missing numbers in sequences
(tags: xor programming algorithms)
- COVID-19: what health experts could and could not predict | Nature Medicine
- Devi Sridhar in Nature: “Nearly a year after the first cases of COVID-19 were reported, it is time to look back and assess what could have been predicted by health experts.”
(tags: science covid19 pandemic medicine)
- I thrived on the tension and drama of British politics. Then I had a heart attack | Health & wellbeing | The Guardian
- “I lived for the nerve-shredding rollercoaster of Westminster. But the stress got under my skin, and into my blood”
(tags: twitter Politics brexit journalism health)
- I’d love to ignore ‘Covid sceptics’ and their tall tales. But they make a splash and have no shame | Media | The Guardian
- Neil O’Brien on the fantasies of those in the media, and beyond, who oppose lockdown. There have been a few articles like this recently, hopefully it marks a tide rising against the loonies.
(tags: covid19 science lockdown pandemic)
- Rise of the Coronavirus Cranks – Quillette
- Another demolition of the smiley face crew.
(tags: twitter pandemic covid19 science)