- Ask HN: Which books have made you introspect? | Hacker News
- Someone does mention Jordan Peterson the woo-meister, but the rest sound interesting.
(tags: books introspection philosophy)
- Doc Searls Weblog · GDPR will pop the adtech bubble
- Interesting distinction between adtech and advertising.
(tags: gdpr advertising law privacy)
- Johnny Ryan on Twitter: “Facebook is confronting EU users a new “terms of service” dialogue that denies access until a user opt-ins to tracking for ad targeting, and various other data processing purposes…… https://t.co/Ymn0dvVTfO”
- Facebook is breaking the GDPR: you can’t require people to consent to use of their personal data if it’s not required to perform whatever service you’re performing.
(tags: facebook gdpr privacy law)
- Ask HN: Best way to learn modern C++? | Hacker News
- Thread with book and video recommendations
(tags: c++ programming)
- Epistemic extremism – UseOfReason
- Contra Internet (“shoe”) atheism: I don’t need to be able to prove a thing to you before I can rationally believe it.
(tags: philosophy belief epistemology Atheism proof)
- Compressing and enhancing hand-written notes
- How Office Lens might do it, but open source. Introduces various colour spaces.
(tags: images python colour RGB HSV)
- Unrolled thread from @patio11
- “Some people really benefit from hearing advice that everyone knows, for the same reason we keep schools open despite every subject in them having been taught before.” Mostly related to the tech business.
- Installing Ubuntu on VirtualBox How To
- Exploiting modern microarchitectures: Meltdown, Spectre, and other attacks
- Presentation from Redhat which goes into detail about the attacks.
(tags: cpu meltdown spectre security redhat hacking)
- Don’t mistake the British public’s leftie economic views for liberalism
- About half of us still support the death penalty, and about half of us think equality for women has achieved enough progress.
(tags: Politics survey opinion poll feminism)