- Fintan O’Toole: Brexit fantasy is about to come crashing down
- “Brexit is not so much a peasants’ revolt as a deeply strange peasants’ – and – landlords’ revolt.
It is a Downton Abbey fantasy of toffs and servants all mucking in together. But when the toffs, as the slogan goes, “take back control”, the underlings will quickly discover that a fantasy is exactly what it is.
The disaffected working- class voter in Sunderland, rightly angry about being economically marginalised and politically disenfranchised, will wait in vain for the magical billions that are supposedly going to be repatriated from Brussels to drop from the clear blue skies of a free England.”
(tags: britain eu brexit referendum politics)
- There are liars and then there’s Boris Johnson and Michael Gove | Nick Cohen | Opinion | The Guardian
- ‘The Brexit figureheads had no plan besides exploiting populist fears and dismissing experts who rubbished their thinking.’
(tags: brexit eu Politics referendum)
- Worrying Signs
- Recording post-referendum incidents of racism. Not all leavers are racist, but all th racists voted leave, and now they think they’ve won.
(tags: eu referendum Politics racism brexit)
- I want my country back
- Laurie Penny, you magnificent bastard: “When all you have is a hammer, every problem starts to look like David Cameron’s face.”
(tags: brexit Politics referendum eu)
- “I want to stop something exploitative, divisive and dishonest” — conversation with a Leaver — Medium
- Interesting discussion between a young Remainer and his Lexiter father.
(tags: eu referendum Politics lexit brexit)
- Why the Article 50 notification is important – Jack of Kent blog
- Cameron has not formally notified the EU of our intention to leave. Boris says there’s no hurry. Perhaps it will never happen?
(tags: eu europe referendum brexit)
- Lord Ashcroft on Twitter: “More from my 12k referendum-day poll on how leavers and remainers see the world differently: https://t.co/VgQ7Z6v9XK”
- How the referendum leavers and remainers view the world. Not particularly surprising, but nice to see some actual evidence.
(tags: referendum opinion eu europe brexit)
- Brexit | Legally and constitutionally, what now? – Public Law for Everyone
- Ian Clark on Twitter: “Interesting comment on FB. Think it might be spot on. https://t.co/r9hCKUZN2Y”
- An argument that Cameron has passed on a poisoned chalice to his successor, which is why Boris looks so glum: nobody will ever push the Article 50 button, because it’s political suicide, but not doing so is also political suicide.
(tags: brexit politics referendum europe cameron)