- post modern C tooling – draft 5
- ‘My ties to England have loosened’: John le Carré on Britain, Boris and Brexit | Books | The Guardian
- “At 87, le Carré is publishing his 25th novel. He talks to John Banville about our ‘dismal statesmanship’ and what he learned from his time as a spy”
(tags: spies intelligence MI5 MI6 le-carre politics)
- The New Zealand Shootings: The Untold Stories | GQ
- A moving account of the shootings and their aftermath. Via Metafilter.
(tags: shooting terrorism racism new-zealand)
- How Derren Brown Remade Mind Reading for Skeptics | The New Yorker
- Introducing Derren Brown to the Americans. Via Mefi.
(tags: magic derren-brown mentalism)
- WSJ, WaPo, NYT Spread False Internet Law Claims | Cato @ Liberty
- Rebutting nonsense about the supposed publisher/platform distinction in Section 230 of the US’s Communications Decency Act. From the Cato Institute, so can’t be dismissed as leftist propaganda.
(tags: law censorship internet)
- Sick and tired: Online activists are silencing us, scientists say
- “Scientists researching treatments for chronic fatigue syndrome say they face online abuse and harassment. Some are leaving the field. It’s a ‘new normal,’ they say, and patients may lose out.”
(tags: research culture psychology internet trolling medicine)
- C++Now 2017: Niko Matsakis “Rust: Hack Without Fear!” – YouTube
- Rust for C++ people (of which I’m not actually one, but it might be interesting anyway).
(tags: rust language programming)
- You Are the Product
- John Lanchester reviews 3 books on Facebook and Google, and comes to the conclusion that Facebook does things because it can, without considering whether it should.
(tags: facebook advertising psychology Internet zuckerberg google)
- The Three Waves of Discworld – An approximation of alertness
- “So I’ve been thinking for a while about the Discworld books, and how they can be divided up into three rough thematic phases; not based around the focal characters, but rather what the story is about.”
(tags: discworld terry-pratchett books fantasy)
- The Secrets Of Cornwall – Part 1 – Communications – YouTube
- Blokes drive around Cornwall looking at manhole covers and work out the landing points of undersea cables, and where the GCHQ intercept points disclosed by Snowden might be.
(tags: cornwall cables telecommunications gchq internet edward-snowden porthcurno)
- ISIS and the Lonely Young American – The New York Times
- The NYT has a story about radical Muslims attempting to convert an American Christian and convince her to travel to join them in Syria, all done via the Internet, mainly Twitter and Skype.
(tags: isis islam internet twitter religion radicalisation)
- Start-up Costs: ‘Silicon Valley,’ ‘Halt and Catch Fire,’ and How Microserfdom Ate the World «
- It’s 20 years since “Microserfs” was published. Here’s an article looking at the changing portrayals of the tech industry in fiction, from Microserf’s optimism to a more cynical view today.
(tags: microserfs douglas-coupland technology silicon-valley programming)
- A Quite Long Review of Edward Feser’s Aquinas: A Beginner’s Guide | Thing of Things
- Ozy reads Edward Feser so you don’t have to.
(tags: aquinas thomist edward-feser metaphysics teleology causality)
- liv | Fat girl running
- Liv discusses Naomi Alderman’s piece on being a fat person who made a fitness app (“Zombies, Run!”). School PE lessons get a mention again as something which ends up discouraging exercise. I mentioned the discussion of Alex Gabriel’s piece on school PE here previously, as well as my own experiences.
(tags: fitness running zombies PE physical-education school)
- ‘Overnight, everything I loved was gone’: the internet shaming of Lindsey Stone | Technology | The Guardian
- Interesting stuff. There’s some more on the Adria Richards/donglegate thing: she gave an interview to Ronson where she describes having a physical reaction to the joke and feeling “unsafe”, which, given that she was in no danger at that point, sounds like a sort of anxiety/panic attack. May explain the disproportionate reaction on her part. There’s also the bit where she says she did know what she was doing by tweeting the photograph and doesn’t feel bad about it. Such goodwill diplomats are not really suited for a career in PR, I’d’ve thought, although SendGrid clearly just fired her to get Anonymous off their back.
(tags: shaming twitter internet dongle adria-richards donglegate)
- Exclusive Extract From Jon Ronson Book ‘So You’ve Been Publicly Shamed’
- A longer extract from Ronson’s book details Richards’s horrible childhood and I think lends weight to my panic attack theory.
(tags: adria-richards jon-ronson donglegate twitter pycon)
- Hi, I’m Muhammad, President of Ex-Muslims of North America here with our leadership. We envision a world where every person is free to follow their conscience. Ask us anything : IAmA
- Reddit “Ask Me Anything” with Muhammed the Atheist. Leftist critique of Islam should be lead by ex-Muslims, ISTM.
(tags: ex-muslim islam religion apostasy ama reddit)