- St James Infirmary – Primus Motor (harmonica, mandolin, doublebass) – YouTube
- Soulful harmonica version of the blues standard.
(tags: blues music st-james-infirmary)
- The Porn Block Fiasco goes mainstream « Complicity
- “The knowledge that attempting to block porn on the internet is bound to backfire has now gone mainstream. (BBC News, Telegraph) Well, there’s a temptation to say “we told you so”, because we did. Repeatedly. So far, sites we know that are subject to overblocking on either TalkTalk and BT include BishUK (a sexual education site for teenagers), LGBTfriend, Edinburgh Women’s Rape and Sexual Abuse Centre, Sexual Abuse Scotland, Doncaster Domestic Abuse Helpline and Reducing The Risk (Another domestic abuse help site).”
(tags: porn internet censorship talktalk sex filtering david-cameron)
Can anyone recommend one? One of those free 1 hour consultations would be nice.
Also, if anyone’s got any experience in taking action to get your deposit back, I’d welcome the benefit of your experience. I’m not going to give details in a public forum, but you can get in touch privately (paul AT noctua.org.uk or Facebook PM me or something) if you want to get into specifics.
- A Guide to Python’s Magic Methods « rafekettler.com
- Handy guide to __init__, __cmp__ and suchlike.
(tags: python programming methods)
- 20 Amazing True Facts About Introverts and Extroverts | Coyote Crossing
- Amazing! True! Facts! Via andrewducker.
(tags: extroversion funny introversion parody)
- The science and magic of Lindy Hop | Andy Connelly | Science | theguardian.com
- “Great partner dancers may not know it but they are masters of space, time and Newton’s laws of motion.” Of course we know it: for example, I’ve decided my “dance name” is “The Oncoming Storm”. (I also suspect I know who the Alistair credited at the end is, as he’s a Cambridge person).
(tags: lindy physics dancing lindyhop guardian newton mechanics)
- liv | Against Dawkins
- Is the gene centred view (of which Dawkins is a major proponent) the best one?
(tags: genetics genes richard-dawkins selfish-gene biology science genotype phenotype)
- A simple explanation of how money moves around the banking system | Richard Gendal Brown
- Via andrewducker.
(tags: banking money bitcoin economics swift bacs transfer)
- How the Daily Mail Conquered England : The New Yorker
- Explaining the Heil to Americans: “The Mail is like Fox in the sense that it speaks to, and for, the married, car-driving, homeowning, conservative-voting suburbanite, but it is unlike Fox in that it is not slavishly approving of any political party. One editor told me, “The paper’s defining ideology is that Britain has gone to the dogs.” ” Via andrewducker.
(tags: daily-mail journalism newspapers newspaper uk england)
- This is all so depressingly obvious about censorship of the internet, isn’t it? | Adam Smith Institute
- That didn’t take long, did it?
(tags: internet censorship david-cameron filtering terrorism)