- Covid: The War We Never Fought – Consumer Surplus
- “England is about to go into a second lockdown, along with lots of other European countries. It’s possible that the second wave of Covid infections we’re experiencing was inevitable, but we didn’t really try to avoid it either.” Contains a handy list of all the failed predictions from cranks like Toby Young and the Great Barrington backers.
(tags: health covid19 medicine Politics)
- The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) (No. 4) Regulations 2020
- The full text of the SI. This looks a lot more tightly drafted than the previous ones I’ve seen (and so is a fair bit longer).
(tags: law covid19)
- No, 90% Of Coronavirus Tests Are Not ‘False Positives’ And This Is Why | HuffPost UK
- Bayes for the win.
(tags: mathematics covid19 bayes-theorem)
- The UK Government’s Vaccine Taskforce: strategy for protecting the UK and the world – The Lancet
- Covid-19: Do many people have pre-existing immunity? | The BMJ
- Non-bonkers article on pre-existing immunity.
(tags: covid19 coronavirus immunity)
- The importance of Nigel Farage and other political hobgoblins – The Law and Policy Blog
- “Farage is a political hobgoblin.
- The BMJ interview: Chris Whitty, England’s chief medical officer, on covid-19 | The BMJ
- Boris Johnson: The gambler, by Tom Bower book review
- “Boris Johnson: an amoral figure for a bleak, coarse culture
By Rory Stewart” Oof!
(tags: boris-johnson politics)
- Yes, PCR tests can detect “the COVID virus” – Virology Down Under
- The latest conspiracy theories allege that the test doesn’t work, so it’s interesting to see in explained.
(tags: pcr covid19 medicine biology science)
- Johnson: The boy king who can’t grow up
- “The ultimate problem with Johnson’s lack of seriousness is that he does not take the British people seriously. That is to say, he is a child who also treats us as children. He lies and jokes and tries to cheer people up, but never levels with us as adults. And so he has never confessed to the damage of Brexit. In the summer he declared it our “patriotic duty” to go to the pub. And last week he declared we should behave “fearlessly” in the face of the virus. Everyone must be mollycoddled or condescended to. The sordid reality must never be spoken.”
(tags: politics covid19 pandemic)
- Boris Johnson cannot win the battle for the union | The New European
- “A once great power carving itself up into smaller and smaller units, for no discernible purpose. That is what English nationalism has created. A man alone in a raft, lost at sea, insisting he is a navy.”
(tags: scotland england boris brexit Politics)
- The Scourge of Hygiene Theater – The Atlantic
- Deep cleans don’t help when most transmission is airbourne.
(tags: covid19 epidemic hygiene)
- Why the Pandemic Is So Bad in America – The Atlantic
- Not just Trump, but a lot of Trump.
(tags: usa covid19 politics epidemic)
- TinyPilot: Build a KVM Over IP for Under $100 · mtlynch.io
- A remote keyboard and monitor with a Raspberry Pi.
(tags: kvm pi server programming)
- danyspin97’s site – Colorize your CLI
- More colours are good.
(tags: shell tutorial colour)
- The Korean Playbook for COVID-19 (Translated) | by Indi Samarajiva | indica | Medium
- Age of Attention – SDr
- “A leverage point in avoiding toxoplasma, is the bridge people: people who are being rewarded for taking offense, and therefore select for the worst possible behavior of the outgroup. These people act as stressors, specifically triggering ideations of worst-case-scenarios. The fix here is removing these people from your feeds/circles of influence.”
(tags: toxoplasma internet rage social-networks)
- Cancel Culture and the Problem of Woke Capitalism – The Atlantic
- No evidence diversity training works but capitalists will always do the minimum to make it like they’re doing something, including firing low paid employees to stop the Twitstorm.
(tags: twitter politics work woke)
- Hello! You’ve Been Referred Here Because You’re Wrong About Section 230 Of The Communications Decency Act | Techdirt
- The CDA does not make the fabled “platform” vs “publisher” distinction. Via Popehat
(tags: law internet libel politics)
- John Kortink’s website – Hardware – GoSDC
- An SD card interface for the Acorn Electron and BBC B. Cool!
(tags: acorn bbc retrocomputing)
- Imperial College simulation code for COVID-19 | Clive Best
- In which someone runs the code, and it seems to work reasonably well.
(tags: covid19 simulation model mathematics programming)
- The Imperial College code | …and Then There’s Physics
- Someone else ran it too.
(tags: covid19 simulation model)
- Jared Yates Sexton on Twitter: “PLEASE. Tell people about this. I’m going to provide some history of Neo-Confederate, white-identity, apocalyptic evangelicalism, what I call the Cult of the Shining City. This is who Donald Trump was messaging yesterday wi
- some history of Neo-Confederate, white-identity, apocalyptic evangelicalism, what I call the Cult of the Shining City.
(tags: christianity politics usa evangelicalism)
- Here’s What The UK Government Was Told By Scientists, Said In Public, And Did On The Big Coronavirus Issues
- “Much of the evidence to the government has been made public, and it means we have a level of insight into where the government’s words and decisions, and the advice from the experts, come together — and diverge.These timelines explore five of the biggest issues: mass events, social distancing, school closures, isolation, and testing.”
- The problem with our response to Covid-19 wasn’t that we didn’t have a plan – it was the opposite
- “People make plans, but plans exert power over people. Covid-19 is not a flu virus but something new for which we don’t yet have effective medications, and it is more infectious than Sars and Mers, the other two coronaviruses to have emerged since the turn of the century. Faced with the novel problem of an untreatable, highly transmissible virus, the government’s current advisers seem to have found it hard to break with the plan they had – now unfit for purpose – and think anew.”
(tags: covid19 uk politics influenza flu)
- Fatal exceptionalism and lack of humility to learn from the Asian example
- “Covid-19, or how the West was undone by its assertion of civilizational difference bordering on provincial narcissism”
(tags: covid19 korea china politics epidemic)