- Better Embedded System SW: Embedded System Safety Lecture Video Series
- A serious of YouTube videos and slides on safety critical software.
(tags: software software-engineering safety programming)
- Unrolled thread from @patio11
- “Some people really benefit from hearing advice that everyone knows, for the same reason we keep schools open despite every subject in them having been taught before.” Mostly related to the tech business.
- What every systems programmer should know about lockless concurrency
- “Seasoned programmers are familiar with concurrency building blocks like mutexes, semaphores, and condition variables. But what makes them work? How do we write concurrent code when we can’t use them, like when we’re working below the operating system in an embedded environment, or when we can’t block due to hard time constraints? And since your system transforms your code into things you didn’t write, running in orders you never asked for, how do multithreaded programs work at all? Concurrency—especially
on modern hardware—is a complicated and unintuitive topic, but let’s try to cover some fundamentals.”
(tags: concurrency programming mutex)
- C++Now 2017: Niko Matsakis “Rust: Hack Without Fear!” – YouTube
- Rust for C++ people (of which I’m not actually one, but it might be interesting anyway).
(tags: rust language programming)
- You Are the Product
- John Lanchester reviews 3 books on Facebook and Google, and comes to the conclusion that Facebook does things because it can, without considering whether it should.
(tags: facebook advertising psychology Internet zuckerberg google)
- The Three Waves of Discworld – An approximation of alertness
- “So I’ve been thinking for a while about the Discworld books, and how they can be divided up into three rough thematic phases; not based around the focal characters, but rather what the story is about.”
(tags: discworld terry-pratchett books fantasy)
- Bit Twiddling Hacks
- A collection of code snippets for doing useful things (sign extension, determine whether a number is a power of two, and so on).
(tags: bit-twiddling programming algorithms c hacks twiddling)
- Anti-Brexit traitors outed on twitter
- UKIP voters in “shit thick” shocker. Also features Louise Mensch.
(tags: twitter ukip funny brexit satire)
- Horse! | Start here: See horse, Say Horse! – The Rules of Horse!
(tags: funny game horse)
- The Human Cost of Tech Debt – DaedTech
- BPS Research Digest: 10 of The Most Widely Believed Myths in Psychology
- Surprises of the Faraday Cage
- Something Feynman got wrong, apparently (and which was repeated in the electro-magnetism lectures at university, as I recall).
(tags: physics science feynman electromagnetism)