- post modern C tooling – draft 5
- ‘My ties to England have loosened’: John le Carré on Britain, Boris and Brexit | Books | The Guardian
- “At 87, le Carré is publishing his 25th novel. He talks to John Banville about our ‘dismal statesmanship’ and what he learned from his time as a spy”
(tags: spies intelligence MI5 MI6 le-carre politics)
- The New Zealand Shootings: The Untold Stories | GQ
- A moving account of the shootings and their aftermath. Via Metafilter.
(tags: shooting terrorism racism new-zealand)
- How Derren Brown Remade Mind Reading for Skeptics | The New Yorker
- Introducing Derren Brown to the Americans. Via Mefi.
(tags: magic derren-brown mentalism)
- WSJ, WaPo, NYT Spread False Internet Law Claims | Cato @ Liberty
- Rebutting nonsense about the supposed publisher/platform distinction in Section 230 of the US’s Communications Decency Act. From the Cato Institute, so can’t be dismissed as leftist propaganda.
(tags: law censorship internet)
- Type punning isn’t funny: Using pointers to recast in C is bad.
- A common C programming technique (casting between pointers to structures) leads to problems when strict aliasing is turned on (as it is if you set -O2 -O3 in gcc).
(tags: C programming casting punning)
- Type Punning, Strict Aliasing, and Optimization – Embedded in Academia
- More on the type punning/aliasing business.
(tags: C punning aliasing programming)
- Ask HN: Best way to learn modern C++? | Hacker News
- Thread with book and video recommendations
(tags: c++ programming)
- Epistemic extremism – UseOfReason
- Contra Internet (“shoe”) atheism: I don’t need to be able to prove a thing to you before I can rationally believe it.
(tags: philosophy belief epistemology Atheism proof)
- Compressing and enhancing hand-written notes
- How Office Lens might do it, but open source. Introduces various colour spaces.
(tags: images python colour RGB HSV)
- Unrolled thread from @patio11
- “Some people really benefit from hearing advice that everyone knows, for the same reason we keep schools open despite every subject in them having been taught before.” Mostly related to the tech business.