- What have we learnt from a year of Covid? | Tim Harford
- Tim Harford has a decent reflection.
(tags: covid19 pandemic science)
- How the beach ‘super-spreader’ myth may have hampered UK Covid reaction | World news | The Guardian
- “News that no outbreaks were linked to beach trips highlights important message about outdoor transmission, says expert”
(tags: pandemic coronavirus beach science)
- Kate Bingham: Why UK strategy on Covid vaccines has been a great success – la Repubblica
- “An exclusive interview by “Die Welt” and “La Repubblica” to the former Chair of the UK Government’s Vaccine Taskforce: what Boris Johnson said when he appointed her, the secrets of UK success, what Britain did and the EU didn’t, the “fake news” of doses from Germany to Britain, the future of Coronavirus vaccines, what she thinks of Sputnik, the role of Sir Patrick Vallance, why it’s correct to delay the second dose, why a global response is the only answer and why manufacturing vaccines is so complicated: “You do not build a racing car from scratch in 6 hours””
(tags: vaccination vaccine covid19 pandemic medicine)
- The U.K.’s Fight Against the Covid Pandemic Has Divided a Nation – The New York Times
- The war isn’t over. Pictures from the frontline.
(tags: covid19 pandemic nhs medicine UK)
- siderea | The Very Bad News [curr ev, Patreon]
- Siderea on the shock of the pandemic actually affecting you personally (and why Lefties shouldn’t disparage preppers). “The Great Shock was a wake up call. I suggest you don’t go back to sleep. I suggest that if you were caught by the Great Shock, you realize that that was because you were out of sync with reality, in a profound and dangerous way. I suggest you resolve not to be caught flat-footed like that again.”
(tags: pandemic preppers psychology)
- [Optimum Performance Settings] For all Oculus CV1 Owners – Virtual Reality (VR) / Hardware & Performance – Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums
- VR settings for Microsoft Flightsim 2020. Bumping up the “Pixels Per Display Pixel Override” makes the whole thing look sharper for me, so saving.
(tags: flightsim oculus)
- COVID-19 RESPONSE − SPRING 2021
- The UK government outlines its plan to ease COVID restrictions in England (PDF).
(tags: covid19 government)
- COVID-19: what health experts could and could not predict | Nature Medicine
- Devi Sridhar in Nature: “Nearly a year after the first cases of COVID-19 were reported, it is time to look back and assess what could have been predicted by health experts.”
(tags: science covid19 pandemic medicine)
- I thrived on the tension and drama of British politics. Then I had a heart attack | Health & wellbeing | The Guardian
- “I lived for the nerve-shredding rollercoaster of Westminster. But the stress got under my skin, and into my blood”
(tags: twitter Politics brexit journalism health)
- I’d love to ignore ‘Covid sceptics’ and their tall tales. But they make a splash and have no shame | Media | The Guardian
- Neil O’Brien on the fantasies of those in the media, and beyond, who oppose lockdown. There have been a few articles like this recently, hopefully it marks a tide rising against the loonies.
(tags: covid19 science lockdown pandemic)
- Rise of the Coronavirus Cranks – Quillette
- Another demolition of the smiley face crew.
(tags: twitter pandemic covid19 science)
- Covid’s endgame | The Spectator
- It’s a non-bonkers article in the Speccy. Where we are, where we’re going.
(tags: covid19 ifr pandemic science epidemic)
- Tom Whipple’s year in Covid: from Wuhan to lockdown to vaccine | Magazine | The Times
- A thoughtful year in review from the Times’ science correspondant
(tags: covid19 science pandemic 2020)
- Reasons for the COVID tier decisions in England
- A presentation from NHS Test and Trace which David Spiegelhalter found.
(tags: disease pandemic covid19 nhs)
- Balancing Epistemic Humility and Prior Knowledge – Insight
- “This was a textbook virus. Why didn’t we act more like it?”
(tags: covid19 disease pandemic)
- Chris Hopson on Twitter: “1/21 Parliament votes on the new tiered restctions on Tuesday. A lot of comment in today’s papers on what’s happening in the hospital sector. Important questions on NHS capacity, demand, preparedness, Nightingales etc. Thread
- CEO of NHS Providers: “A lot of comment in today’s papers on what’s happening in the hospital sector. Important questions on NHS capacity, demand, preparedness, Nightingales etc. Thread below sets out NHS hospital trust perspective.”
(tags: covid19 nhs hospital pandemic)
- Covid: The War We Never Fought – Consumer Surplus
- “England is about to go into a second lockdown, along with lots of other European countries. It’s possible that the second wave of Covid infections we’re experiencing was inevitable, but we didn’t really try to avoid it either.” Contains a handy list of all the failed predictions from cranks like Toby Young and the Great Barrington backers.
(tags: health covid19 medicine Politics)
- The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) (No. 4) Regulations 2020
- The full text of the SI. This looks a lot more tightly drafted than the previous ones I’ve seen (and so is a fair bit longer).
(tags: law covid19)
- No, 90% Of Coronavirus Tests Are Not ‘False Positives’ And This Is Why | HuffPost UK
- Bayes for the win.
(tags: mathematics covid19 bayes-theorem)
- The UK Government’s Vaccine Taskforce: strategy for protecting the UK and the world – The Lancet
- Covid-19: Do many people have pre-existing immunity? | The BMJ
- Non-bonkers article on pre-existing immunity.
(tags: covid19 coronavirus immunity)
- The importance of Nigel Farage and other political hobgoblins – The Law and Policy Blog
- “Farage is a political hobgoblin.
- The BMJ interview: Chris Whitty, England’s chief medical officer, on covid-19 | The BMJ
- Boris Johnson: The gambler, by Tom Bower book review
- “Boris Johnson: an amoral figure for a bleak, coarse culture
By Rory Stewart” Oof!
(tags: boris-johnson politics)
- Aerosol transmission of Covid-19: A room, a bar and a classroom: how the coronavirus is spread through the air | Society | EL PAÍS in English
- Nice pictures, good info on aerosol spread.
(tags: covid19 medicine science)