- A very British dream | Richard Seymour on Patreon
- “Problem number one for the Conservatives is that they no longer have any idea how to administer capitalism. No viable long-term growth strategy avails. They can’t address the financial sector without hurting their allies in the City. They can’t address the crisis of productivity and investment without more state intervention than they’re willing to accept. They can’t address the housing crisis or the precarious debt-driven economy without harming the interests of home owners. They can’t build new support in the rustbelts on an anti-immigrant basis, without sacrificing affluent swing voters and particularly ethnic minority voters in big cities and marginals.”
(tags: Politics conservatives may brexit)
- We Don’t Do That Here
- A neutral-sounding way to inform someone that they’ve crossed a line.
(tags: community morality)
- A Bluer Shade of White Chapter 1, a frozen fanfic | FanFiction
- Do you want to build a self-modifying snowman?
(tags: Singularity fiction story frozen olaf)
- The Story of Your Life by Ted Chiang
- Ted Chiang’s short about memory, time and loss. It’s also an alien first contact story.
(tags: heptapod story science-fiction time ted-chiang sci-fi language first-contact memory)
- Cambridge: Poles apart Why Warsaw beats Cambridge Blog Mike Levy
- “A weekend in Warsaw made me think about Cambridge at night. In Cambridge after 6pm the city centre empties ready for the only true night time economy: binge drinking. The Market Square alive with stall holders and shoppers at 5pm magically transforms into a ghostly empty space one hour later. It is a Cinderella midnight moment that never fails to astonish. By dusk the Cambridge ball is over and the Prince has gone home to watch T.V. Only a lonely burger van takes up residence creating a sad and soulless image that realist painter Edward Hopper could capture.” Yeah, it’s crap.
(tags: night-life drinking alcohol night cambridge warsaw)
- Why You Shouldn’t Support Operation Christmas Child | Mymumdom
- …unless you want to contribute towards evangelical Christian evangelising, of course. But apparently some schools in the UK are collecting shoeboxes of gifts for the Samaritan’s Purse organisation without fully realising what they’re about.
(tags: religion samaritans-purse christianity christmas-child christmas evangelism)
- www.me.uk RevK’s rants: Censoring the Internet
- Chap who runs an ISP goes to dinner with some MPs and discusses filtering.
(tags: politics uk porn filtering censorship isp internet)
- Unreliable research: Trouble at the lab | The Economist
- “Scientists like to think of science as self-correcting. To an alarming degree, it is not.” Talks about the problems with reproducing research.
(tags: economist journals research statistics science)
- Warning Signs in Experimental Design and Interpretation
- (tags: significance experiment maths probability research mathematics statistics science)