- Ex-Communications – Recovering From Religion – You Are Not Alone
- A new blog written by de-converts from various religions. Looks quite interesting so far.
(tags: ex-christian religion deconversion christianity)
- Physics – Arrow of Time Emerges in a Gravitational System
- “Standard approaches to the arrow of time typically require a rare statistical fluctuation, or, often, the smuggling in of assumptions about initial conditions. Their work offers evidence that ordinary gravitational dynamics may itself be enough to produce the simple “initial” point that can give time a direction.”
(tags: entropy time physics gravity)
- Science AMA Series: We are a Group of Researchers Exploring Auditory Hallucinations – People Who Hear Voices. Ask us Anything! : science
- Interesting comments on benign hallucinations.
(tags: hallucinations psychology reddit science)
- cartesiandaemon – December Days: Dream Job
- CartesianDaemon on what makes a good job. I think I agree with all of these. Where can I get one of those?
(tags: jobs dream employment software software-engineering)
- Modern Microprocessors – A 90 Minute Guide!
- Nice article about how modern microprocessors work.
(tags: microprocessor cpu hardware memory cache)
- The Aural Majority: Do You Want to Swing, Virginia?
- What makes music swing? With sound samples.
(tags: swing music shuffle rhythm)
- Our quantum reality problem – Adrian Kent – Aeon
- An article about quantum theory and the philosophy of science.
(tags: physics quantum research philosophy science everrett)
- Printable True Bugs Wait Posters | natashenka
- Abstain from strcpy! Wait for the string handling functions which are right for you.
(tags: programming funny security bugs C stdlib)
- The science and magic of Lindy Hop | Andy Connelly | Science | theguardian.com
- “Great partner dancers may not know it but they are masters of space, time and Newton’s laws of motion.” Of course we know it: for example, I’ve decided my “dance name” is “The Oncoming Storm”. (I also suspect I know who the Alistair credited at the end is, as he’s a Cambridge person).
(tags: lindy physics dancing lindyhop guardian newton mechanics)
- liv | Against Dawkins
- Is the gene centred view (of which Dawkins is a major proponent) the best one?
(tags: genetics genes richard-dawkins selfish-gene biology science genotype phenotype)
- Making Light: Victory to the People
- A history of the development of the Biblical canon, recounted as if it were fan fiction.
(tags: canon religion bible nicea)
- Can You Call a 9-Year-Old a Psychopath? – NYTimes.com
- No, but you can note that some of them are Callous-Unemotional and may grow up to be psychopaths.
(tags: psychology sociopath children brain psychopath)
- Russell Brand and the GQ awards: ‘It’s amazing how absurd it seems’ | Culture | The Guardian
- Russell Brand on being ejected from the GQ awards for making a joke about Hugo Boss, the sponsors. He’s a good writer.
(tags: russell-brand comedy awards hugo-boss gq)
- Putting Time In Perspective
- Nice little timelines zooming out from the day to human history to evolutionary history to the history of the Universe.
(tags: time physics universe evolution)