- ▶ Game of Thrones Theme – Swamp Donkeys at BB King’s – YouTube
- Awesome. Via Andy at Lindy.
(tags: music game-of-thrones swing new-orleans)
- Things That Sometimes Help If You Have Depression | Slate Star Codex
- Scott continues to write excellent stuff, this time about depression.
(tags: depression psychology psychiatry antidepressants)
- Modern Microprocessors – A 90 Minute Guide!
- Nice article about how modern microprocessors work.
(tags: microprocessor cpu hardware memory cache)
- The Aural Majority: Do You Want to Swing, Virginia?
- What makes music swing? With sound samples.
(tags: swing music shuffle rhythm)
- Our quantum reality problem – Adrian Kent – Aeon
- An article about quantum theory and the philosophy of science.
(tags: physics quantum research philosophy science everrett)
- Printable True Bugs Wait Posters | natashenka
- Abstain from strcpy! Wait for the string handling functions which are right for you.
(tags: programming funny security bugs C stdlib)
- St James Infirmary – Primus Motor (harmonica, mandolin, doublebass) – YouTube
- Soulful harmonica version of the blues standard.
(tags: blues music st-james-infirmary)
- The Porn Block Fiasco goes mainstream « Complicity
- “The knowledge that attempting to block porn on the internet is bound to backfire has now gone mainstream. (BBC News, Telegraph) Well, there’s a temptation to say “we told you so”, because we did. Repeatedly. So far, sites we know that are subject to overblocking on either TalkTalk and BT include BishUK (a sexual education site for teenagers), LGBTfriend, Edinburgh Women’s Rape and Sexual Abuse Centre, Sexual Abuse Scotland, Doncaster Domestic Abuse Helpline and Reducing The Risk (Another domestic abuse help site).”
(tags: porn internet censorship talktalk sex filtering david-cameron)
- The Course of Their Lives – JSOnline
- A fascinating series of articles on the experiences of medical students dissecting a body during their training, interspersed with the reflections of someone leaving her body to the medical school. Via Mefi.
(tags: body anatomy death medical-school dissection medicine)
- What Can We Learn About Human Psychology from Christian Apologetics? – Less Wrong
- Chris Hallquist tries to work out what’s going on with apologetics. It’s Less Wrong, so *do* read the comments.
(tags: religion christianity less-wrong psychology apologetics chris-hallquist)
- DanceSport DJ Ice
- This chap has made ballroom remixes of various popular tunes. Epic (or something).
(tags: music dancing remix ballroom)
- Joe Pass & Ella Fitzgerald – Duets in Hannover 1975 – YouTube
- Great stuff. Via Mefi. Ella’s on about half an hour in.
(tags: singing jazz duet joe-pass ella-fitzgerald video)
- Solitude and Leadership – William Deresiewicz
- William Deresiewicz on the necessity for those who would lead to find time alone to concentrate their thoughts.
(tags: army leadership solitude william-deresiewicz)
I haven’t had much time for proper blogging lately, but I’ve been commenting elsewhere a bit, so I’m doing a series of short posts about that in an attempt to get back into the proper blogging habit.
Cambridge Vintage Night
One odd thing about this event was that I wasn’t quite sure what it was trying to be: it wasn’t quite advertised as a lindy event, but it was advertised to the local lindy hoppers (on Facebook) and it started with an introductory lindy lesson. There was a reasonable contingent of people from the various lindy scenes around Cambs, but we were outnumbered by muggles. I think everyone complaining about the music being too fast is a lindy hopper and so they mean “too many fast songs for (sustained) lindy” (which I’d agree with). I’m not sure what the non-dancers thought of it. The other Paul (who, if he’s who I think he is, runs a fun local event outside Cambridge, he’s probably too modest to say) has some good points on how you welcome in newbies at lindy events. There are plenty of people in Cambs who know how to do events like that if that’s what you want your event to be.
Playing for lindy hoppers is a different thing from playing from people who’ve come to bop around while wearing flapper dresses (there’s nothing wrong with the latter, of course). Lindy hoppers do turn up to things where there might be suitable music and make what we can of it without feeling hard done by if it doesn’t work out. But if you’ve sort of positioned it as a lindy thing and then it doesn’t work, the people who came thinking it was a lindy thing will be annoyed (hi Mark!)
- Arguments From My Opponent Believes Something | Slate Star Codex
- 1. Argument From My Opponent Believes Something, Which Is Kinda Like Believing It On Faith, Which Is Kinda Like Them Being A Religion: “The high priests of the economic orthodoxy take it on faith that anyone who doubts the market is a heretic who must be punished.”
(tags: argument belief debate epistemology)
- Skeptics shouldn’t have lined up with the Mail to call Psychic Sally a fraud
- "The great pity about the legal battle between the Daily Mail and ‘Psychic’ Sally Morgan was that somebody had to win." You’re not a sceptic if you call someone a fraud without evidence
(tags: libel law sally-morgan evidence scepticism daily-mail psychic fraud)
- Twelve Tones – YouTube
- 30 minutes of video (hand drawn pictures in time to the narration) and music on finding patterns and 12 tone music. Worth a watch/listen. Via AB on Google+.
(tags: music pattern stravinsky chromatic art vi-hart video)
- Schneier on Security: The Office of the Director of National Intelligence Defends NSA Surveillance Programs
- "Here’s a transcript of a panel discussion about NSA surveillance. There’s a lot worth reading here, but I want to quote Bob Litt’s opening remarks. He’s the General Counsel for ODNI, and he has a lot to say about the programs revealed so far in the Snowden documents."
(tags: terrorism nsa spying leaks privacy security prism)
- BBC News – How religions change their mind
- How do doctrinal shifts occur in various world religions?
(tags: religion christianity mormonism islam change doctrine judaism)
- I Went Down to St. James Infirmary
- An entire blog full of different versions of the song. Super.
(tags: music jazz blues)
- The Ethics of Extreme Porn: Is Some Sex Wrong Even Among Consenting Adults? – Conor Friedersdorf – The Atlantic
- Does consent make everything OK? An article summarising responses to another article about a Kink.com shoot. (In the comments, I somehow end up arguing with someone about whether St Paul thought Jesus would be back within his lifetime).
(tags: kink bdsm sex consent porn ethics)
- Against the seriousness of theology : Gene Expression
- "Theology and texts have far less power over shaping a religion’s lived experience than intellectuals would like to credit. This is a difficult issue to approach, because even believers who are vague on peculiarities of the details of theology (i.e., nearly all of them!) nevertheless espouse that theology as true. Very few Christians that I have spoken to actually understand the substance of the elements of the Athanasian Creed, though they accept it on faith. Similarly, very few Sunni Muslims could explain with any level of coherency why al-Ghazali‘s refutation of the Hellenistic tendency within early Islam shaped their own theology (if they are Sunni it by definition does!). Conversely, very few Shia could explain why their own tradition retains within its intellectual toolkit the esoteric Hellenistic philosophy which the Sunni have rejected. That’s because almost no believers actually make recourse to their own religion’s intellectual toolkit."
(tags: religion theology culture)
- John Stump, composer of Faerie’s Aire and Death Waltz « Lost in the Cloud
- An article about the composer of that spoof piece (with directions like "release the penguins" and "add bicycle").
(tags: music composer funny)
- Web of Beliefs 2012: Complete Edition – Greatplay.net
- Peter Hurford’s summary of his beliefs, which links to a lot of his interesting essays. I should do myself one of these, I reckon.
(tags: religion belief philosophy epistemology science)
- Traffic Waves – YouTube
- If you drive at the average speed of the traffic and leave a gap in front of you, you can alleviate traffic jams, apparently.
(tags: traffic waves cars driving)
- Salsa Dance Etiquette for Leads: How to Avoid Being Blacklisted When Social Dancing | danceclasschallenge
- Also applies to a bunch of other partner dances.
(tags: dancing leading etiquette salsa dance)
- Salsa Dance Etiquette for Follows: How to Avoid Being Blacklisted When Social Dancing | danceclasschallenge
- Much of this is applicable to other partner dances.
(tags: dancing following etiquette salsa)
- Why you shouldn’t believe the Resurrection happened » The Polemical MedicThe Polemical Medic
- A nice summary of some good and bad arguments about the Resurrection.
(tags: religion miracles christianity resurrection philosophy)
- Top 10 Reasons our Kids Leave Church « Marc5Solas
- An American Christian on why they’re losing their youth. Obviously, they’re not going to say "because it’s all lies", but I don’t think an atheist has to support the idea that all de-converts thought very hard about it and left on rational grounds.
(tags: religion christianity de-conversion atheism)
- Kevin and Jo videos
- Jo and Kevin recap a course they did a couple of years ago, which has some of the same material they taught in Cambridge recently, but in a Charleston context.
(tags: dancing charleston lindy)
- Power of Suggestion – The Chronicle Review – The Chronicle of Higher Education
- "The amazing influence of unconscious cues is among the most fascinating discoveries of our time—that is, if it’s true." Attempts to replicate some of the classic experiments in psychological priming have failed. Interesting article about the role of reputations in science (as well as about priming).
(tags: priming psychology science)
- hot as fuck: bands | dogpossum.org
- Top tips for bands playing for dancers (and dancers dancing to bands).
(tags: music dancing lindy jazz lindyhop)
- Carsie Blanton’s Baby Can Dance – OFFICIAL VIDEO – YouTube
- Nice song, cool lindy in the video (almost all lead and followed apparently, there’s no choreography apart from one tiny bit) illustrating that it’s not all about the aerials.
(tags: music lindy lindyhop dance)
- European Swing Dance Championships presents: Lindy Hop Bloopers – YouTube
- Alternatively hilarious and terrifying. My favourite is the one where they kick the spotter, I think.
(tags: dancing lindy funny aerials lindyhop)
- Dungeons and Discourse revision – help with spells?
- Yvain wants suggestions for spell names and effects in his Dungeons and Discourse games. These should be horrible puns on scientific, mathematical or philosophical concepts.There are some good ones in the comments.
(tags: mathematics maths funny humour philosophy magic)
- A Jazz Anthology MP3 Choose listen download 36004 tunes jazz artists
- Lots of out of copyright jazz stuff.
(tags: lindyhop lindy free mp3 jazz music)
- Rationally Speaking: On guns: the facts, the reasons
- (tags: shooting law violence guns)
- God & Sandy Hook | Talking Philosophy
- Mike LaBossiere wrote my blog post for me: he talks about Mike Huckabee’s response and the two ways to take it (either as an assertion that God judged America or as a statement about moral education) and notes that in either case, God doesn’t really come out well.
(tags: huckabee mike-huckabee violence shooting sandy-hook philosophy christian religion theodicy)