- There’s a lot wrong with this viral list about the Lisbon Treaty – Full Fact
- A large number of our readers have asked us to factcheck a list of claims about the Lisbon Treaty, or “what will actually happen if we stay in the EU”, which has gone viral on social media.
The list has appeared in numerous versions across different platforms since mid-December. The text at the beginning and end is often different, but the central list of claims is virtually identical across most of the versions we’ve seen.
- Stoicism’s Appeal to the Rich and Powerful – Ex Urbe
- How to Buy a Car Without Interacting With a Human – The Toast
- I wonder whether this works in the UK…
(tags: shopping cars money car)
- Debugging Vim by example – David Winterbottom
- “This post illustrates a range of debugging and profiling approaches for Vim by walking through real issues I’ve recently investigated, diagnosed and resolved. “
(tags: vim debugging)
- In Britain, Austerity Is Changing Everything – The New York Times
- “Whatever the operative thinking, austerity’s manifestations are palpable and omnipresent. It has refashioned British society, making it less like the rest of Western Europe, with its generous social safety nets and egalitarian ethos, and more like the United States, where millions lack health care and job loss can set off a precipitous plunge in fortunes.”
(tags: money poverty austerity politics)
- cmocka – unit testing framework for C
- Nifty unit test framework which does the checking arguments and providing return values from stub/mocked functions which I tend to spend a bit of time re-creating each time I write a test.
(tags: test development programming testing unit-test C)
- What cohabiting couples can to do put their financial house in order | Money | The Guardian
- (tags: cohabitation finances will legal law money)
- The value of a life
- “If you have money and want to save lives, you had better put a price on life… But don’t mix up the price of a life with the value of a life. I see this happen all too frequently. To correct this mistake, I’m going to tell a little story.”
(tags: economics life value cost money charity death)
- Oliver Sacks on Learning He Has Terminal Cancer – NYTimes.com
- Oliver Sacks has terminal cancer. He reflects on his life.
(tags: death cancer oliver-sacks david-hume)
- Are you paid to look busy?
- Do people with useless jobs secretly resent those with useful ones?
(tags: jobs money management work employment)
- Interview with the Game of Thrones linguist
- There are a few Easter eggs in the Valyrian stuff. Fun.
(tags: television game-of-thrones language)
- What’s the evidence on using rational argument to change people’s minds? : May 2014 : Contributoria – community funded, collaborative journalism
- Are we rational or rationalising? Depends on the context.
(tags: psychology bias rationality argument persuasion logic)
- A simple explanation of how money moves around the banking system | Richard Gendal Brown
- Via andrewducker.
(tags: banking money bitcoin economics swift bacs transfer)
- How the Daily Mail Conquered England : The New Yorker
- Explaining the Heil to Americans: “The Mail is like Fox in the sense that it speaks to, and for, the married, car-driving, homeowning, conservative-voting suburbanite, but it is unlike Fox in that it is not slavishly approving of any political party. One editor told me, “The paper’s defining ideology is that Britain has gone to the dogs.” ” Via andrewducker.
(tags: daily-mail journalism newspapers newspaper uk england)
- This is all so depressingly obvious about censorship of the internet, isn’t it? | Adam Smith Institute
- That didn’t take long, did it?
(tags: internet censorship david-cameron filtering terrorism)
- 6 Harsh Truths That Will Make You a Better Person | Cracked.com
- The antitode to Nice Guy-ism, among other stuff. Via andrewducker.
(tags: psychology advice nice guy)
- Salary Negotiation: Make More Money, Be More Valued | Kalzumeus Software
- (tags: work jobs money negotiation salary)