- Modern Microprocessors – A 90 Minute Guide!
- Nice article about how modern microprocessors work.
(tags: microprocessor cpu hardware memory cache)
- The Aural Majority: Do You Want to Swing, Virginia?
- What makes music swing? With sound samples.
(tags: swing music shuffle rhythm)
- Our quantum reality problem – Adrian Kent – Aeon
- An article about quantum theory and the philosophy of science.
(tags: physics quantum research philosophy science everrett)
- Printable True Bugs Wait Posters | natashenka
- Abstain from strcpy! Wait for the string handling functions which are right for you.
(tags: programming funny security bugs C stdlib)
- The Story of Your Life by Ted Chiang
- Ted Chiang’s short about memory, time and loss. It’s also an alien first contact story.
(tags: heptapod story science-fiction time ted-chiang sci-fi language first-contact memory)
- Cambridge: Poles apart Why Warsaw beats Cambridge Blog Mike Levy
- “A weekend in Warsaw made me think about Cambridge at night. In Cambridge after 6pm the city centre empties ready for the only true night time economy: binge drinking. The Market Square alive with stall holders and shoppers at 5pm magically transforms into a ghostly empty space one hour later. It is a Cinderella midnight moment that never fails to astonish. By dusk the Cambridge ball is over and the Prince has gone home to watch T.V. Only a lonely burger van takes up residence creating a sad and soulless image that realist painter Edward Hopper could capture.” Yeah, it’s crap.
(tags: night-life drinking alcohol night cambridge warsaw)
- Why You Shouldn’t Support Operation Christmas Child | Mymumdom
- …unless you want to contribute towards evangelical Christian evangelising, of course. But apparently some schools in the UK are collecting shoeboxes of gifts for the Samaritan’s Purse organisation without fully realising what they’re about.
(tags: religion samaritans-purse christianity christmas-child christmas evangelism)
- www.me.uk RevK’s rants: Censoring the Internet
- Chap who runs an ISP goes to dinner with some MPs and discusses filtering.
(tags: politics uk porn filtering censorship isp internet)
- Unreliable research: Trouble at the lab | The Economist
- “Scientists like to think of science as self-correcting. To an alarming degree, it is not.” Talks about the problems with reproducing research.
(tags: economist journals research statistics science)
- Warning Signs in Experimental Design and Interpretation
- (tags: significance experiment maths probability research mathematics statistics science)