Skip to content
- What We Can Learn from the Paris Attacks (Without Ignoring the Elephant in the Room)
- Yep, this is more or less what I think.
(tags: paris terrorism islam islamism religion politics)
- What is emotional labor?
- A term that once described jobs where being friendly and cheerful was seen as part of the job has apparently been co-opted to mean “someone expects me to do something”.
(tags: emotion labour work relationships)
- Guide to software developer job advertisements: andrewducker
- Seems legit.
(tags: software software-engineering jobs adverts careers)
- My first 10 day Vipassana retreat
- Not *my* retreat. Some bloke’s. It’s an interesting article about the experience though.
(tags: meditation buddhism mindfulness retreat)
- An alias for when you really need it done…
- I’m totally setting this up.
(tags: funny computers unix sudo)
- The Deadlock Empire
- A nice little web game where you try to break a threaded program by executing a critical section in two threads at once. It’s pretty neat.
(tags: programming threads concurrency locks game)
- Don’t Feed the Beast – the Great Tech Recruiter Infestation | mockyblog
- A fun rant against tech recruiters in the UK, who are apparently a bunch of wide-boys (or spivs, to use the old fashioned term). I haven’t used one for over ten years, so I don’t know how accurate it is, but HN’s discussion on it had some people saying it rings true.
(tags: recruiters jobs technology work)
- On the Phenomenon of Bullshit Jobs | Strike! Magazine
- Whatever happened to our promised leisure time, and why do so many people get paid to do nothing useful?
(tags: capitalism politics work jobs economics)
- Ex-Communications – Recovering From Religion – You Are Not Alone
- A new blog written by de-converts from various religions. Looks quite interesting so far.
(tags: ex-christian religion deconversion christianity)
- Physics – Arrow of Time Emerges in a Gravitational System
- “Standard approaches to the arrow of time typically require a rare statistical fluctuation, or, often, the smuggling in of assumptions about initial conditions. Their work offers evidence that ordinary gravitational dynamics may itself be enough to produce the simple “initial” point that can give time a direction.”
(tags: entropy time physics gravity)
- Science AMA Series: We are a Group of Researchers Exploring Auditory Hallucinations – People Who Hear Voices. Ask us Anything! : science
- Interesting comments on benign hallucinations.
(tags: hallucinations psychology reddit science)
- cartesiandaemon – December Days: Dream Job
- CartesianDaemon on what makes a good job. I think I agree with all of these. Where can I get one of those?
(tags: jobs dream employment software software-engineering)
- What Long Hours Really Mean | We Are Mammoth
- Via Hacker News, where there’s the usual debate about all this. Previously I’ve read research which says you can get gains out of doing it for short bursts but must then rest: longer periods of overtime end up producing less, not more. This article is more about the cultural impact, though.
(tags: work programming hours overtime business productivity)
- Questions to ask your potential employer | Hacker News
- Linked to the Hacker News thread rather than the original post as the commenters at HN came up with some good additional ones.
(tags: work software jobs interview interviewing)
- Lies, Damned Lies, And Facebook (Part 4 of ∞) | Slate Star Codex
- Scott at Slate Start Codex points out that there’s no good evidence that those “Don’t be that guy” posters have reduced the incidence of rape.
(tags: society crime advertising posters rape statistics)