- No, 90% Of Coronavirus Tests Are Not ‘False Positives’ And This Is Why | HuffPost UK
- Bayes for the win.
(tags: mathematics covid19 bayes-theorem)
- The UK Government’s Vaccine Taskforce: strategy for protecting the UK and the world – The Lancet
- Covid-19: Do many people have pre-existing immunity? | The BMJ
- Non-bonkers article on pre-existing immunity.
(tags: covid19 coronavirus immunity)
- The importance of Nigel Farage and other political hobgoblins – The Law and Policy Blog
- “Farage is a political hobgoblin.
- The BMJ interview: Chris Whitty, England’s chief medical officer, on covid-19 | The BMJ
- Boris Johnson: The gambler, by Tom Bower book review
- “Boris Johnson: an amoral figure for a bleak, coarse culture
By Rory Stewart” Oof!
(tags: boris-johnson politics)
- Aerosol transmission of Covid-19: A room, a bar and a classroom: how the coronavirus is spread through the air | Society | EL PAÍS in English
- Nice pictures, good info on aerosol spread.
(tags: covid19 medicine science)
- Covid fears have stopped social dancing in its tracks. – The Washington Post
- “Some day, we’ll hit the dance floor again. And it will be glorious.”
- Cluster of Coronavirus Disease Associated with Fitness Dance Classes, South Korea – Volume 26, Number 8—August 2020 – Emerging Infectious Diseases journal – CDC
- “During 24 days in Cheonan, South Korea, 112 persons were infected with severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 associated with fitness dance classes at 12 sports facilities. Intense physical exercise in densely populated sports facilities could increase risk for infection. Vigorous exercise in confined spaces should be minimized during outbreaks.”
(tags: dance health covid19)
- Philosophy in the Shadow of Nazism | The New Yorker
- The Vienna Circle
(tags: empiricism philosophy)
- Yes, PCR tests can detect “the COVID virus” – Virology Down Under
- The latest conspiracy theories allege that the test doesn’t work, so it’s interesting to see in explained.
(tags: pcr covid19 medicine biology science)
- Johnson: The boy king who can’t grow up
- “The ultimate problem with Johnson’s lack of seriousness is that he does not take the British people seriously. That is to say, he is a child who also treats us as children. He lies and jokes and tries to cheer people up, but never levels with us as adults. And so he has never confessed to the damage of Brexit. In the summer he declared it our “patriotic duty” to go to the pub. And last week he declared we should behave “fearlessly” in the face of the virus. Everyone must be mollycoddled or condescended to. The sordid reality must never be spoken.”
(tags: politics covid19 pandemic)
- K: The Overlooked Variable That’s Driving the Pandemic – The Atlantic
- Appears that COVID19 spreading is dominated by a few “superspreading” events. Contact tracing backwards to find who gave someone the disease probably leads to such an event, and you can then trace forwards to find other infected.
(tags: covid19 epidemic)
- “Are we experiencing a second wave?” – asks Stuart McDonald | AgeWage: Making your money work as hard as you do
- Actuary says yes.
(tags: covid19 pandemic actuary statistics)
- How to store dotfiles | Atlassian Git Tutorial
- The best way to store your dotfiles: A bare Git repository
(tags: git linux)
- QAnon is a Nazi Cult, Rebranded
- Points out that the QAnon new religious movement has some familiar sounding rhetoric: “A secret cabal is taking over the world. They kidnap children, slaughter, and eat them to gain power from their blood. They control high positions in government, banks, international finance, the news media, and the church. They want to disarm the police. They promote homosexuality and pedophilia. They plan to mongrelize the white race so it will lose its essential power.”
(tags: conspiracy qanon nazis)
- The Pandemic’s Biggest Mystery Is Our Own Immune System – The Atlantic
- More Ed Yong: the immune system is very complicated
(tags: biology disease immune covid19 pandemic)
- E7201. The Epidemiology of Viruses | by Paul Bleicher | Jul, 2020 | Tincture
- “Welcome Class of 2045 medical students to E7201… Most of you were toddlers when the COVID-19 epidemic arrived, the largest health-related disruption of human activity that the modern world has seen since the influenza epidemic of 1918–1920.”
(tags: covid19 medicine prediction)
- Shane Crotty on Twitter: “1/ There are various tweets misinterpreting COVID-19 “pre-existing immunity” and making dangerous claims about herd immunity. Since many of those claims refer to our scientific papers, we will reiterate the facts. @SetteLab @
- There are various tweets misinterpreting COVID-19 “pre-existing immunity” and making dangerous claims about herd immunity. Since many of those claims refer to our scientific papers, we will reiterate the facts.
(tags: covid19 immunology antibody medicine science)
- Boris Johnson cannot win the battle for the union | The New European
- “A once great power carving itself up into smaller and smaller units, for no discernible purpose. That is what English nationalism has created. A man alone in a raft, lost at sea, insisting he is a navy.”
(tags: scotland england boris brexit Politics)
- The Scourge of Hygiene Theater – The Atlantic
- Deep cleans don’t help when most transmission is airbourne.
(tags: covid19 epidemic hygiene)
- Why the Pandemic Is So Bad in America – The Atlantic
- Not just Trump, but a lot of Trump.
(tags: usa covid19 politics epidemic)
- TinyPilot: Build a KVM Over IP for Under $100 · mtlynch.io
- A remote keyboard and monitor with a Raspberry Pi.
(tags: kvm pi server programming)
- danyspin97’s site – Colorize your CLI
- More colours are good.
(tags: shell tutorial colour)
- The Korean Playbook for COVID-19 (Translated) | by Indi Samarajiva | indica | Medium
- Age of Attention – SDr
- “A leverage point in avoiding toxoplasma, is the bridge people: people who are being rewarded for taking offense, and therefore select for the worst possible behavior of the outgroup. These people act as stressors, specifically triggering ideations of worst-case-scenarios. The fix here is removing these people from your feeds/circles of influence.”
(tags: toxoplasma internet rage social-networks)