Skip to content
- Monsignor Treeb Lopez – YouTube
- Thoughts for the Day, not quite as heard on Radio 4.
(tags: funny comedy radio religion)
- Stewart Lee: The Imaginary Liberal Comedy Cabal will crush the Ukips into dust | Stage | The Guardian
- There is now a cabal.
(tags: ukip stewart-lee comedy humour funny politics cabal)
- The Sixth Stage of Grief Is Retro-computing
- Emulation of old computers and grief over the death of a friend who used them. Via Mefi.
(tags: emulation technology grief nostalgia)
- When Women Stopped Coding : Planet Money : NPR
- I remember seeing a photo of an old-ish computer surrounded by its programming team in the computing museum at Bletchley Park. Most of the team were women. This blog/podcast looks at what happened in the USA.
(tags: women coding computers feminism sexism technology)
- Loyalty and Layoffs | Heart, Mind and Code
- The corporation is not your friend.
(tags: employment loyalty career redundancy layoffs)
- Loyalty and Trust | Heart, Mind and Code
- A more temperate follow up to the “don’t be loyal to the corporation” one, distinguishing loyalty, trust and vulnerability.
(tags: employment layoffs trust vulnerability work loyalty)
- Postcards From the Edge of Consciousness – Issue 16: Nothingness – Nautilus
- “Sensory deprivation goes from CIA torture manuals to a yoga studio near you.” Via andrewduck.
(tags: psychology meditation floatation deprivation consciousness)
- TAM2014 – Carol Tavris – Who’s Lying Who’s Self-Justifying – YouTube
- “Social psychologist and author Carol Tavris on “Who’s Lying? Who’s Self-Justifying?: Origins of the He Said/She Said Gap in Sexual Communications”. Discusses sexual assault but is mainly about discussions of sexual assault and dissonance.
(tags: sex sexism psychology scepticism cognitive-bias evidence)
- Russell91/pythonpy · GitHub
- Clever idea: quick way of writing per line loops to process files in Python. Via HN.
(tags: python shell programming)
- Barely Legal Pawn, feat. Bryan Cranston, Aaron Paul and Julia Louis-Dreyfus – YouTube
- Spot all the Breaking Bad references.
(tags: breaking-bad comedy funny emmy parody pawn)
- Pop Sonnets
- “Young Thomas is a longshoreman by trade” Pop song lyrics turned into Shakespearian sonnets. Via Mefi.
(tags: funny shakespeare sonnets pop music lyrics)
- Dueling Magical Negros on Vimeo
- Looks like Morgan Freeman wasn’t available.
(tags: magical negro dueling funny race comedy)
- What The Fuck Is My Wearable Strategy?
- “MONEYCLIP THAT POSTS TO FACEBOOK WHEN YOU NEED A SHIT” “TEMPORARY TATTOO THAT TWEETS WHEN YOU HAVE NIGHTMARES”
(tags: funny humour technology wearable strategy)
- Allah vs atheism: ‘Leaving Islam was the hardest thing I’ve done’ – Home News – UK – The Independent
- Personal stories from some ex-Muslims.
(tags: religion islam de-conversion ex-muslim)
- Ten Things I Want To Stop Seeing On The Internet In 2014 | Slate Star Codex
- An interesting thread about the internet social justice movement, on Slate Star Codex: “I am having a hard time finding a middle ground between SJ and sociopathy. I don’t like what SJ does to my brain. But realistically it’s not actually feasible for me to not give a shit about anyone. Could use a little advice.” Commenter then gets good advice.
(tags: social-justice sjw internet sociopath)
- ▶ UKIP Shipping Forecast by Nicholas Pegg
- The Shipping Forecast as delivered by UKIP.
(tags: politics humour shipping ukip funny)
- The Open-Office Trap : The New Yorker
- Open offices are horrible. Shame I work in one at the moment.
(tags: office productivity work space)
- Goodnight. Sleep Clean. – NYTimes.com
- Sleep is for your cerebral fluid to clear away the accumulated junk. Maybe.
(tags: sleep insomnia brain neuroscience)
- What is frame?
- “My best definition is that its a social convention for how we hold our bodies so our partner knows where we are in space.” I like 619shepard’s comment because it’s less about modelling people as springs and more about how there are conventions which are taught (some of which will involve behaving like a mass on a spring some of the time, to be sure).
(tags: frame dancing lindy lindyhop reddit swing)
- Bill Nye tests the benefits of swing dancing – latimes.com
- Bill Nye the Science Guy is a swing dancer. He extols the virtues of dancing in a short interview.
(tags: bill-nye science lindy lindyhop dancing swing fitness)
- RDFRS: Secular VIP of the Week: God on Facebook
- The man who plays God on Facebook. I’ve already Liked the page: it’s funny to see him responding to religious people who get offended, usually with much more grace than they show him.
(tags: god facebook funny comedy)
- Making Light: Victory to the People
- A history of the development of the Biblical canon, recounted as if it were fan fiction.
(tags: canon religion bible nicea)
- Can You Call a 9-Year-Old a Psychopath? – NYTimes.com
- No, but you can note that some of them are Callous-Unemotional and may grow up to be psychopaths.
(tags: psychology sociopath children brain psychopath)
- Russell Brand and the GQ awards: ‘It’s amazing how absurd it seems’ | Culture | The Guardian
- Russell Brand on being ejected from the GQ awards for making a joke about Hugo Boss, the sponsors. He’s a good writer.
(tags: russell-brand comedy awards hugo-boss gq)
- Putting Time In Perspective
- Nice little timelines zooming out from the day to human history to evolutionary history to the history of the Universe.
(tags: time physics universe evolution)