- Yes, PCR tests can detect “the COVID virus” – Virology Down Under
- The latest conspiracy theories allege that the test doesn’t work, so it’s interesting to see in explained.
(tags: pcr covid19 medicine biology science)
- Johnson: The boy king who can’t grow up
- “The ultimate problem with Johnson’s lack of seriousness is that he does not take the British people seriously. That is to say, he is a child who also treats us as children. He lies and jokes and tries to cheer people up, but never levels with us as adults. And so he has never confessed to the damage of Brexit. In the summer he declared it our “patriotic duty” to go to the pub. And last week he declared we should behave “fearlessly” in the face of the virus. Everyone must be mollycoddled or condescended to. The sordid reality must never be spoken.”
(tags: politics covid19 pandemic)
- K: The Overlooked Variable That’s Driving the Pandemic – The Atlantic
- Appears that COVID19 spreading is dominated by a few “superspreading” events. Contact tracing backwards to find who gave someone the disease probably leads to such an event, and you can then trace forwards to find other infected.
(tags: covid19 epidemic)
- “Are we experiencing a second wave?” – asks Stuart McDonald | AgeWage: Making your money work as hard as you do
- Actuary says yes.
(tags: covid19 pandemic actuary statistics)
- How to store dotfiles | Atlassian Git Tutorial
- The best way to store your dotfiles: A bare Git repository
(tags: git linux)
- QAnon is a Nazi Cult, Rebranded
- Points out that the QAnon new religious movement has some familiar sounding rhetoric: “A secret cabal is taking over the world. They kidnap children, slaughter, and eat them to gain power from their blood. They control high positions in government, banks, international finance, the news media, and the church. They want to disarm the police. They promote homosexuality and pedophilia. They plan to mongrelize the white race so it will lose its essential power.”
(tags: conspiracy qanon nazis)
- Using Vim for C++ development
- dreamwidth as vindication of a few cherished theories
- DW’s co-creator on how to make a successful open source project. Via brainwane.
(tags: dreamwidth open-source)
- Sync Any Folder to OneDrive in Windows 10 | Tutorials
- Make a symlink from the OneDrive folder to the thing you want to sync.
(tags: onedrive backup)
- Principles for the Application of Human Intelligence – Behavioral Scientist
- “Before humans become the standard way in which we make decisions, we need to consider the risks and ensure implementation of human decision-making systems does not cause widespread harm.”
(tags: artificial-intelligence ai psychology parody)
- A Decade of Vim
- Some interesting looking Vim screencasts.
(tags: vim editor programming)
- The Pandemic’s Biggest Mystery Is Our Own Immune System – The Atlantic
- More Ed Yong: the immune system is very complicated
(tags: biology disease immune covid19 pandemic)
- E7201. The Epidemiology of Viruses | by Paul Bleicher | Jul, 2020 | Tincture
- “Welcome Class of 2045 medical students to E7201… Most of you were toddlers when the COVID-19 epidemic arrived, the largest health-related disruption of human activity that the modern world has seen since the influenza epidemic of 1918–1920.”
(tags: covid19 medicine prediction)
- Shane Crotty on Twitter: “1/ There are various tweets misinterpreting COVID-19 “pre-existing immunity” and making dangerous claims about herd immunity. Since many of those claims refer to our scientific papers, we will reiterate the facts. @SetteLab @
- There are various tweets misinterpreting COVID-19 “pre-existing immunity” and making dangerous claims about herd immunity. Since many of those claims refer to our scientific papers, we will reiterate the facts.
(tags: covid19 immunology antibody medicine science)