- Unrolled thread from @patio11
- “Some people really benefit from hearing advice that everyone knows, for the same reason we keep schools open despite every subject in them having been taught before.” Mostly related to the tech business.
- Installing Ubuntu on VirtualBox How To
- Exploiting modern microarchitectures: Meltdown, Spectre, and other attacks
- Presentation from Redhat which goes into detail about the attacks.
(tags: cpu meltdown spectre security redhat hacking)
- Don’t mistake the British public’s leftie economic views for liberalism
- About half of us still support the death penalty, and about half of us think equality for women has achieved enough progress.
(tags: Politics survey opinion poll feminism)
- black holes – Why is information indestructible? – Physics Stack Exchange
- Top answer has a nice model using coloured squares and cellular automata rules.
(tags: physics black-holes universe entropy)
- Your smartphone is making you stupid, antisocial and unhealthy. So why can’t you put it down? – The Globe and Mail
- We’re doomed! Interesting for this bit: “It takes office workers an average of 25 minutes to get back on task after an interruption, he notes, while workers who are habitually interrupted by e-mail become likelier to “self-interrupt” with little procrastination breaks”. That’s true of me: if I’m constantly getting interrupted I give up and procastinate in anticipation of the next interruption.
(tags: technology culture psychology smartphones facebook work)
- Simulating Religion: A Christian takes stock of Silicon Valley’s rationalist community by Alexi Sargeant
- A Christian takes stock of Silicon Valley’s rationalist community
(tags: lesswrong rationalism eliezer-yudkowsky Christianity philosophy transhumanism)
- How evolutionary biology makes everyone an existentialist | Aeon Essays
- “Each variant of human desire is ‘natural’, not in the sense of being required, but only of being made possible by nature. And it is in what nature makes possible, not in what it necessitates, that we should look for the answer to the question about what we should be or do.”
(tags: philosophy ethics existentialism evolution biology)
- Notes from the Intelpocalypse [LWN.net]
- A good, reasonably technical, summary of the Spectre and Meltdown attacks.
(tags: cpu hardware spectre meltdown security intel)
- Recommendations please: Is there more to Belief than Credence above a certain threshold? : askphilosophy
- Apparently, the thesis that this is all there is to belief is known as the Lockean thesis and is regarded as wrong. Some interesting references to dig into.
(tags: philosophy epistemology belief)