- No, 90% Of Coronavirus Tests Are Not ‘False Positives’ And This Is Why | HuffPost UK
- Bayes for the win.
(tags: mathematics covid19 bayes-theorem)
- The UK Government’s Vaccine Taskforce: strategy for protecting the UK and the world – The Lancet
- Covid-19: Do many people have pre-existing immunity? | The BMJ
- Non-bonkers article on pre-existing immunity.
(tags: covid19 coronavirus immunity)
- The importance of Nigel Farage and other political hobgoblins – The Law and Policy Blog
- “Farage is a political hobgoblin.
- The BMJ interview: Chris Whitty, England’s chief medical officer, on covid-19 | The BMJ
- Boris Johnson: The gambler, by Tom Bower book review
- “Boris Johnson: an amoral figure for a bleak, coarse culture
By Rory Stewart” Oof!
(tags: boris-johnson politics)
- Bit Twiddling Hacks
- A collection of code snippets for doing useful things (sign extension, determine whether a number is a power of two, and so on).
(tags: bit-twiddling programming algorithms c hacks twiddling)
- Anti-Brexit traitors outed on twitter
- UKIP voters in “shit thick” shocker. Also features Louise Mensch.
(tags: twitter ukip funny brexit satire)
- Horse! | Start here: See horse, Say Horse! – The Rules of Horse!
(tags: funny game horse)
- Satanists want to use Hobby Lobby decision to exempt women from anti-abortion laws
- This is win. Hail Satan, and His only Son, Harry Potter.
(tags: satanism abortion law)
- Harry Connick Jr & French Rhythm Accents – YouTube
- Harry Connick Jr sorts out the audience’s clapping (from 1&3 to 2&4). Can you spot how? Genius.
(tags: music clapping afterbeat)
- Between the Hammer and the Anvil: On Countering The Ukip Cri-de-Colon
- Author shares my frustration that Labour apparently has no balls: “Every unchallenged Question Time assertion that people aren’t allowed to talk about the topics that they are themselves talking about on national television at that very moment. Every word from the party’s self-appointed detectors of the legitimate feelings of thick-headed bellends. All of it has been leading to precisely this point, at which politicians explicitly talking about sending them back are seen as engaging in respectable conjecture, and posting a picture on the internet is a sackable offence.”
(tags: ukip politics immigration racism labour)
- Why Are All The Good Guys Always Taken, Gay, Dead, Or Available? | The Onion – America’s Finest News Source
- “When you finally do come across one of the good guys out there, why does it always turn out that he’s either taken, gay, dead, or available?” Via Phil.
(tags: dating funny parody onion)
- “Everything is problematic” | The McGill Daily
- “Perhaps the most deeply held tenet of a certain version of anti-oppressive politics – which is by no means the only version – is that members of an oppressed group are infallible in what they say about the oppression faced by that group. … Let me give an example. A gay person is typically much better acquainted with homophobia than a straight person. Moreover, a gay person has a much greater stake in what society does about homophobia, so their view on the matter is more important. However, there is nothing about the experience of being gay in itself that enlightens a gay person about the ethics of sexual orientation. To take a dead simple case, you don’t have to hear it from a gay person to know that homosexuality is ethically just fine.”
(tags: politics feminism activism culture rationality problematic)
- Top Level Telecommunications: INCENSER, or how NSA and GCHQ are tapping internet cables
- Cornwall is the centre of GCHQ/NSA’s taps on undersea cables. This blog post puts the picture together from a bunch of sources. Via Bruce Schneier.
(tags: gchq cornwall cable interception nsa undersea)
- Stewart Lee: The Imaginary Liberal Comedy Cabal will crush the Ukips into dust | Stage | The Guardian
- There is now a cabal.
(tags: ukip stewart-lee comedy humour funny politics cabal)
- The Sixth Stage of Grief Is Retro-computing
- Emulation of old computers and grief over the death of a friend who used them. Via Mefi.
(tags: emulation technology grief nostalgia)
- When Women Stopped Coding : Planet Money : NPR
- I remember seeing a photo of an old-ish computer surrounded by its programming team in the computing museum at Bletchley Park. Most of the team were women. This blog/podcast looks at what happened in the USA.
(tags: women coding computers feminism sexism technology)
- Loyalty and Layoffs | Heart, Mind and Code
- The corporation is not your friend.
(tags: employment loyalty career redundancy layoffs)
- Loyalty and Trust | Heart, Mind and Code
- A more temperate follow up to the “don’t be loyal to the corporation” one, distinguishing loyalty, trust and vulnerability.
(tags: employment layoffs trust vulnerability work loyalty)
- Not two UKIPs, three UKIPs. | The Yorkshire Ranter
- “So, basically, we have a ramshackle coalition of the grumpy. The biggest single group in it would like to vent intestinal gas, and wants its NHS and its BBC and its institutions in general. The second-biggest group either wants to sell all of those, or doesn’t care as long as they get to be an MEP. The smallest group is either obsessed by the EU, or else by Alan Clark diary fantasies, and has the most seniority in the party’s organisation, but also the least professionalism.”
(tags: ukip politics election)
- Dueling Magical Negros on Vimeo
- Looks like Morgan Freeman wasn’t available.
(tags: magical negro dueling funny race comedy)
- What The Fuck Is My Wearable Strategy?
- “MONEYCLIP THAT POSTS TO FACEBOOK WHEN YOU NEED A SHIT” “TEMPORARY TATTOO THAT TWEETS WHEN YOU HAVE NIGHTMARES”
(tags: funny humour technology wearable strategy)
- Allah vs atheism: ‘Leaving Islam was the hardest thing I’ve done’ – Home News – UK – The Independent
- Personal stories from some ex-Muslims.
(tags: religion islam de-conversion ex-muslim)
- Ten Things I Want To Stop Seeing On The Internet In 2014 | Slate Star Codex
- An interesting thread about the internet social justice movement, on Slate Star Codex: “I am having a hard time finding a middle ground between SJ and sociopathy. I don’t like what SJ does to my brain. But realistically it’s not actually feasible for me to not give a shit about anyone. Could use a little advice.” Commenter then gets good advice.
(tags: social-justice sjw internet sociopath)
- ▶ UKIP Shipping Forecast by Nicholas Pegg
- The Shipping Forecast as delivered by UKIP.
(tags: politics humour shipping ukip funny)
- Ambidancetrous: The Blog — “We don’t want to make people uncomfortable.” (aka, “What about teh menz?!”)
- "Ultimately, some of the worry that some straight guys will be uncomfortable dancing with other men (or being led by a woman) may be justified." Het guys: you lost the oppression Olympics, so your comfort and consent about who touches you is less important than our plan to build a utopia through dance. PROBLEMATIC. Well, OK, that bit rubbed me up the wrong way. But seriously, I think an "ambidancetrous" dance scene would be less "problematic" if the expectations (and how they differ from pretty much every other scene) were made clear up front. What I expect would happen then is that if you insisted every lesson was ambidancetrous, you’d never get enough people to make a viable community. Maybe it’d work as an option within an established scene, though.
(tags: lindy consent gender feminism lindyhop dance)
- A doctor writes about the difficulties of dealing with obesity: dealing with a social problem, and applying epidemiology to individuals. Via Metafilter.
(tags: food fat obesity medicine health)
- On the stupidity of asking, “but where’s the evidence we need evidence for things?”
- "it’s a mistake to think that if someone thinks maybe you should have some evidence for a particular thing you believe, they are therefore committed to a sweeping philosophical doctrine about needing evidence for absolutely everything."
(tags: evidence philosophy epistemology)
- Online Child Porn – What the Papers Aren’t Telling You.
- Could Google really block it? (Hint: no)
(tags: google porn filtering internet)
- Ukip Activist Marty Caine Provokes Fury by Branding Drummer Lee Rigby’s Family ‘Idiots’ – IBTimes UK
- Looks like the old "the EDL are the provisional wing of UKIP" joke is actually true.
(tags: edl lee-rigby islam racism ukip)