- Babylon 5 Is the Greatest, Most Terrible SF Series | Tor.com
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Where Is It? – The Atlantic
- The pilot did it, apparently m
(tags: aviation malaysia mh370)
- The Science Behind “The Expanse” – 1/25/17 – YouTube
- A panel with Caltech scientists and people from the show.
(tags: tv the-expanse science science-fiction sci-fi physics astronomy)
- Abigail Nussbaum — Person of Interest – The Good Bits Version
- If you want just the SF bits of Person of Interest (which are great, see Peter Watts’s review) without the police procedural/victim of the week stuff, Abigail Nussbaum has a useful list of episodes to watch.
(tags: person-of-interest artificial-intelligence science-fiction television)
- THE EXPLODING TOILET and Other Memories
- "And in one of those dreaded realizations pilots are advised to avoid, that insulation between cockpit calm and atmospheric anarchy looks thin indeed. An extrapolated horror: the riveted aluminum planks bending apart, the wind rushing in, explosive depressurization, death, the first airliner — no, the first vehicle — in history to crash because of an overflowing toilet." This guy tells a good story. Via marnanel
(tags: flying toilet pilot aircraft funny)
- Secrets of FBI Smartphone Surveillance Tool Revealed in Court Fight | Threat Level | Wired.com
- by a court case. Those guys have some nice kit.
(tags: eavesdropping FBI spying bugging surveillance interception)
- The Boston Marathon Bombing: Keep Calm and Carry On – Bruce Schneier – The Atlantic
- "But our brains are fooling us. Even though this will be in the news for weeks, we should recognize this for what it is: a rare event. That’s the very definition of news: something that is unusual — in this case, something that almost never happens. "
(tags: terrorism bruce-schneier security)
- PSA: Ignore the news – Charlie’s Diary
- The reading the news is bad for you: a timely reminder.
(tags: television news tv media charles-stross)