- The nuclear deterrent and reasons for its replacement
- Interesting discussion from UK armed forces people on Trident and whatnot. Found in a comment on the aforementioned Charles Stross blog post.
(tags: Vulcan nuclear Trident ICBM SSBN V-force war)
- Free Speech on the Internet: Silicon Valley is Making the Rules | New Republic
- Google, Twitter, Facebook and the new global battle over the future of free speech
(tags: law twitter speech google islam censorship facebook)
- Changing my mind on nuclear disarmament – Charlie’s Diary
- Charles Stross argues against renewing Trident.
(tags: trident nuclear disarmament charles-stross war)
- Coding, Fast and Slow: Developers and the Psychology of Overconfidence
- "I’m going to talk today about what goes on in inside developers’ heads when they make estimates, why that’s so hard to fix, and how I personally figured out how to live and write software (for very happy business owners) even though my estimates are just as brutally unreliable as ever." via Andrew Ducker
(tags: software programming scrum estimation daniel-kahneman)
- What Martial Arts Have to Do With Atheism – Graeme Wood – The Atlantic
- Sam Harris on martial arts, meditation and atheism: "No one’s ever accused me of being an optimist, but I think reason and intellectual honesty will win. They’re just too useful."
(tags: religion atheism martial-arts meditation sam-harris)
- How Not to Die – Jonathan Rauch – The Atlantic
- Many doctors aren’t good at having "the Conversation". A doctor uses film to illustrate patients’ options at the end of their lives.
(tags: film ethics death health medicine intensive-care)