- What is this thing, called swing? | The Home of Happy Feet
- Daniel Newsome geeks out about music.
(tags: lindyhop swing music jazz beats dance)
- 19 Tips For Everyday Git Use
- Top tips for git
(tags: git software software-engineering tips)
- Scott Aaronson Answers Every Ridiculously Big Question I Throw at Him – Scientific American Blog Network
- A fascinating question and answer session with Aaronson.
(tags: physics quantum scott-aaronson philosophy computation mathematics)
- What We Can Learn from the Paris Attacks (Without Ignoring the Elephant in the Room)
- Yep, this is more or less what I think.
(tags: paris terrorism islam islamism religion politics)
- What is emotional labor?
- A term that once described jobs where being friendly and cheerful was seen as part of the job has apparently been co-opted to mean “someone expects me to do something”.
(tags: emotion labour work relationships)
- Guide to software developer job advertisements: andrewducker
- Seems legit.
(tags: software software-engineering jobs adverts careers)
- My first 10 day Vipassana retreat
- Not *my* retreat. Some bloke’s. It’s an interesting article about the experience though.
(tags: meditation buddhism mindfulness retreat)
- An alias for when you really need it done…
- I’m totally setting this up.
(tags: funny computers unix sudo)
- The Deadlock Empire
- A nice little web game where you try to break a threaded program by executing a critical section in two threads at once. It’s pretty neat.
(tags: programming threads concurrency locks game)
- Ex-Communications – Recovering From Religion – You Are Not Alone
- A new blog written by de-converts from various religions. Looks quite interesting so far.
(tags: ex-christian religion deconversion christianity)
- Physics – Arrow of Time Emerges in a Gravitational System
- “Standard approaches to the arrow of time typically require a rare statistical fluctuation, or, often, the smuggling in of assumptions about initial conditions. Their work offers evidence that ordinary gravitational dynamics may itself be enough to produce the simple “initial” point that can give time a direction.”
(tags: entropy time physics gravity)
- Science AMA Series: We are a Group of Researchers Exploring Auditory Hallucinations – People Who Hear Voices. Ask us Anything! : science
- Interesting comments on benign hallucinations.
(tags: hallucinations psychology reddit science)
- cartesiandaemon – December Days: Dream Job
- CartesianDaemon on what makes a good job. I think I agree with all of these. Where can I get one of those?
(tags: jobs dream employment software software-engineering)
- Implementing non-recursive make
- Recursive makes are considered harmful. Here’s a recipe for a non-recursive one where you can still put project files in subdirectories.
(tags: make programming nonrecursive makefiles build software)
- Embedded in Academia : Proposal for a Friendly Dialect of C
- John Regehr and friends note that C compilers aggressive optimising around use of constructs the spec says are “undefined” can lead to unexpected behaviour. They propose a friendly C dialect where compilers would produce unspecified values in response to use of these constructs, but would not feel free to make demons fly out of your nose.
(tags: C programming language software-engineering)
- The Left must reject the relativism at the heart of the Rotherham scandal | Left Foot Forward
- This, from Al Razi of Ex-Muslim Forum, seems a sensible response, although as the worlds only impartial observer, I’d say that both the class of the victims and the race of both victims and perpetrators contributed to the horrors being ignored for so long. The Guardian will only talk about the former and the Telegraph about the latter, I suspect.
(tags: rotherham abuse religion islam news multiculturalism)