- Cheeky Nando’s, or, what went wrong? | Idiot Joy Showland
- Top bants of the apocalypse.
(tags: nandos apocalypse post-apocalyptic bants funny)
- Real Life First Person Shooter (Chatroulette version) – YouTube
- British film company put together a live action first person shooter and invited people on Chatroulette to play. The “making of” video linked at the end explains how they did it.
(tags: chatroulette shooter first-person live games)
- Work Hard, Live Well — Life Learning — Medium
- “So it is with deep sadness that I observe the current culture of intensity in the tech industry. My intellectual conclusion is that these companies are both destroying the personal lives of their employees and getting nothing in return. A candidate recently deciding between Asana and another fast growing company told me that the other team starts their dinners at 830pm to encourage people to stay late (he’s starting here in a few weeks). I also hear young developers frequently brag about “48 hour” coding sprints. This kind of attitude not only hurts young workers who are willing to “step up” to the expectation, but facilitates ageism and sexism by indirectly discriminating against people who cannot maintain that kind of schedule.”
(tags: work productivity rest crunch overtime)
- What Long Hours Really Mean | We Are Mammoth
- Via Hacker News, where there’s the usual debate about all this. Previously I’ve read research which says you can get gains out of doing it for short bursts but must then rest: longer periods of overtime end up producing less, not more. This article is more about the cultural impact, though.
(tags: work programming hours overtime business productivity)
- Questions to ask your potential employer | Hacker News
- Linked to the Hacker News thread rather than the original post as the commenters at HN came up with some good additional ones.
(tags: work software jobs interview interviewing)
- Lies, Damned Lies, And Facebook (Part 4 of ∞) | Slate Star Codex
- Scott at Slate Start Codex points out that there’s no good evidence that those “Don’t be that guy” posters have reduced the incidence of rape.
(tags: society crime advertising posters rape statistics)