- Buddhism Is More ‘Western’ Than You Think – NYTimes.com
- Argues that incomprehensible gnomic sayings are a Western stereotype of what Eastern philosophy is.
(tags: meditation buddhism philosophy paradox)
- Inspiring Philosophy and the Laws of Logic: Part 1 – UseOfReason
- What could apologists be talking about when they speak of “the laws of logic”? (This is usually part of an argument that God is needed for there to be such laws). Discusses various different logics, what Godel really proved, and a bunch of other stuff.
(tags: philosophy mathematics logic presuppositionalism apologetics godel)
- Thin Pinstriped Line: The business of Remembering
- Veteran and civil servant “Sir Humphrey” on poppies: “I have grown increasingly concerned at the manner in which manufactured outrage focuses on any organisation or individual that challenges the Poppy status quo, by not wearing one. If you are wearing one only because everyone else is wearing one, then perhaps it is time to ask whether the Poppy has become a victim of its own success.
As we move into the world where we are over a century on from the events of WW1, perhaps the time has come to ask if it is time to evolve the service of Remembrance, and perhaps do it differently. I do feel that the need to remember is always appropriate, but that the means by which a simple silence has become a business and outrage outlet to sell papers is increasingly distasteful. “
(tags: war remembrance poppy politics media)
- What We Can Learn from the Paris Attacks (Without Ignoring the Elephant in the Room)
- Yep, this is more or less what I think.
(tags: paris terrorism islam islamism religion politics)
- What is emotional labor?
- A term that once described jobs where being friendly and cheerful was seen as part of the job has apparently been co-opted to mean “someone expects me to do something”.
(tags: emotion labour work relationships)
- Guide to software developer job advertisements: andrewducker
- Seems legit.
(tags: software software-engineering jobs adverts careers)
- My first 10 day Vipassana retreat
- Not *my* retreat. Some bloke’s. It’s an interesting article about the experience though.
(tags: meditation buddhism mindfulness retreat)
- An alias for when you really need it done…
- I’m totally setting this up.
(tags: funny computers unix sudo)
- The Deadlock Empire
- A nice little web game where you try to break a threaded program by executing a critical section in two threads at once. It’s pretty neat.
(tags: programming threads concurrency locks game)
- Postcards From the Edge of Consciousness – Issue 16: Nothingness – Nautilus
- “Sensory deprivation goes from CIA torture manuals to a yoga studio near you.” Via andrewduck.
(tags: psychology meditation floatation deprivation consciousness)
- TAM2014 – Carol Tavris – Who’s Lying Who’s Self-Justifying – YouTube
- “Social psychologist and author Carol Tavris on “Who’s Lying? Who’s Self-Justifying?: Origins of the He Said/She Said Gap in Sexual Communications”. Discusses sexual assault but is mainly about discussions of sexual assault and dissonance.
(tags: sex sexism psychology scepticism cognitive-bias evidence)
- Russell91/pythonpy · GitHub
- Clever idea: quick way of writing per line loops to process files in Python. Via HN.
(tags: python shell programming)
- Barely Legal Pawn, feat. Bryan Cranston, Aaron Paul and Julia Louis-Dreyfus – YouTube
- Spot all the Breaking Bad references.
(tags: breaking-bad comedy funny emmy parody pawn)
- Pop Sonnets
- “Young Thomas is a longshoreman by trade” Pop song lyrics turned into Shakespearian sonnets. Via Mefi.
(tags: funny shakespeare sonnets pop music lyrics)
- Changing my mind on nuclear disarmament – Charlie’s Diary
- Charles Stross argues against renewing Trident.
(tags: trident nuclear disarmament charles-stross war)
- Coding, Fast and Slow: Developers and the Psychology of Overconfidence
- "I’m going to talk today about what goes on in inside developers’ heads when they make estimates, why that’s so hard to fix, and how I personally figured out how to live and write software (for very happy business owners) even though my estimates are just as brutally unreliable as ever." via Andrew Ducker
(tags: software programming scrum estimation daniel-kahneman)
- What Martial Arts Have to Do With Atheism – Graeme Wood – The Atlantic
- Sam Harris on martial arts, meditation and atheism: "No one’s ever accused me of being an optimist, but I think reason and intellectual honesty will win. They’re just too useful."
(tags: religion atheism martial-arts meditation sam-harris)
- How Not to Die – Jonathan Rauch – The Atlantic
- Many doctors aren’t good at having "the Conversation". A doctor uses film to illustrate patients’ options at the end of their lives.
(tags: film ethics death health medicine intensive-care)