- Buddhism Is More ‘Western’ Than You Think – NYTimes.com
- Argues that incomprehensible gnomic sayings are a Western stereotype of what Eastern philosophy is.
(tags: meditation buddhism philosophy paradox)
- Inspiring Philosophy and the Laws of Logic: Part 1 – UseOfReason
- What could apologists be talking about when they speak of “the laws of logic”? (This is usually part of an argument that God is needed for there to be such laws). Discusses various different logics, what Godel really proved, and a bunch of other stuff.
(tags: philosophy mathematics logic presuppositionalism apologetics godel)
- Thin Pinstriped Line: The business of Remembering
- Veteran and civil servant “Sir Humphrey” on poppies: “I have grown increasingly concerned at the manner in which manufactured outrage focuses on any organisation or individual that challenges the Poppy status quo, by not wearing one. If you are wearing one only because everyone else is wearing one, then perhaps it is time to ask whether the Poppy has become a victim of its own success.
As we move into the world where we are over a century on from the events of WW1, perhaps the time has come to ask if it is time to evolve the service of Remembrance, and perhaps do it differently. I do feel that the need to remember is always appropriate, but that the means by which a simple silence has become a business and outrage outlet to sell papers is increasingly distasteful. “
(tags: war remembrance poppy politics media)
- THE EXPLODING TOILET and Other Memories
- "And in one of those dreaded realizations pilots are advised to avoid, that insulation between cockpit calm and atmospheric anarchy looks thin indeed. An extrapolated horror: the riveted aluminum planks bending apart, the wind rushing in, explosive depressurization, death, the first airliner — no, the first vehicle — in history to crash because of an overflowing toilet." This guy tells a good story. Via marnanel
(tags: flying toilet pilot aircraft funny)
- Secrets of FBI Smartphone Surveillance Tool Revealed in Court Fight | Threat Level | Wired.com
- by a court case. Those guys have some nice kit.
(tags: eavesdropping FBI spying bugging surveillance interception)
- The Boston Marathon Bombing: Keep Calm and Carry On – Bruce Schneier – The Atlantic
- "But our brains are fooling us. Even though this will be in the news for weeks, we should recognize this for what it is: a rare event. That’s the very definition of news: something that is unusual — in this case, something that almost never happens. "
(tags: terrorism bruce-schneier security)
- PSA: Ignore the news – Charlie’s Diary
- The reading the news is bad for you: a timely reminder.
(tags: television news tv media charles-stross)