- Paris Review – Art of Fiction No. 226, Hilary Mantel
- Interview with the author.
(tags: fiction books hilary-mantel interview)
- There is no catastrophe so ghastly that America will reform its gun laws
- Tim Kreider’s essay from 2014 is still true, it seems.
(tags: tim-kreider guns crime america)
- Robot makes people feel like a ghost is nearby | Science/AAAS | News
- You can induce sensed presences by having a robot poke you in the back.
(tags: emotions ghosts robots psychology)
- Philosophical Disquisitions: Is there a defensible atheistic account of moral values?
- Maybe, or at least, it’s as good as a popular theistic account.
(tags: morality metaethics atheism william lane craig)
- Strange Horizons Articles: A Few Questions About the Culture: An Interview with Iain Banks, by Jude Roberts
- An old, but recently published, interview with the Iain M Banks. Via andrewducker.
(tags: iain-m-banks culture interview sci-fi science-fiction)
- What Long Hours Really Mean | We Are Mammoth
- Via Hacker News, where there’s the usual debate about all this. Previously I’ve read research which says you can get gains out of doing it for short bursts but must then rest: longer periods of overtime end up producing less, not more. This article is more about the cultural impact, though.
(tags: work programming hours overtime business productivity)
- Questions to ask your potential employer | Hacker News
- Linked to the Hacker News thread rather than the original post as the commenters at HN came up with some good additional ones.
(tags: work software jobs interview interviewing)
- Lies, Damned Lies, And Facebook (Part 4 of ∞) | Slate Star Codex
- Scott at Slate Start Codex points out that there’s no good evidence that those “Don’t be that guy” posters have reduced the incidence of rape.
(tags: society crime advertising posters rape statistics)