- Installing Ubuntu on VirtualBox How To
- Exploiting modern microarchitectures: Meltdown, Spectre, and other attacks
- Presentation from Redhat which goes into detail about the attacks.
(tags: cpu meltdown spectre security redhat hacking)
- Don’t mistake the British public’s leftie economic views for liberalism
- About half of us still support the death penalty, and about half of us think equality for women has achieved enough progress.
(tags: Politics survey opinion poll feminism)
- How work changed to make us all passionate quitters | Aeon Essays
- Alleges that neoliberalism encourages employees to see themselves as the CEO of “Me, Inc”, always looking for tasks that’ll help them get their next job. Interesting final section about the modern obsession with “passion”.
(tags: capitalism business work economics career)
- Troy Hunt: Introducing 306 Million Freely Downloadable Pwned Passwords
- A service where you can check the clear text (if you trust the site owner) or hash of passwords to see whether they’ve leaked in any of the site hacks over the years.
(tags: security passwords api)
- Operation Luigi: How I hacked my friend without her noticing
- Funny stream of consciousness thing about hacking a friend (with permission). Time to enable 2FA on your stuff, people.
(tags: hacking phishing funny email authentication passwords)
- Steve Dutch: Conservative Cranks and Liberal Meta-Cranks
- What are the differences between cranks on both sides? Conservative ones are generally stupid, liberal ones are clever rationalisers.
(tags: politics cranks conservative liberal)
- The 29 Stages Of A Twitterstorm
- Tells it how it is.
(tags: twitter controversy funny storm satire)
- Age-ism, Transhumanism, and Silicon Valley’s Cognitive Dissonance — Better Humans — Medium
- “If you’re irrelevant at thirty, why live forever?”
(tags: silicon-valley ageism transhumanism aging)
- Ken Auletta: Can the Guardian Take Its Aggressive Investigations Global? : The New Yorker
- The NYT looks at the history of the Graun and its recent scoops (the NSA files). Apparently the paper is running out of money. 🙁
(tags: journalism nsa surveillance guardian edward-snowden internet gchq newspaper)
- Hard Sci-Fi Movies (HardSciFiMovies) on Twitter
- Hard SF plots from Twitter. Via AndrewDucker.
(tags: science-fiction scifi movies funny space)
- Saint Paul says shit
- Although you won’t find many English translations admitting it (try the Vulgate).
(tags: philipians paul st-paul bible language shit)
- Reverse Engineering a D-Link Backdoor – /dev/ttyS0
- Interesting post on using a disassembler to find a backdoor someone left in a bunch of D-Link routers.
(tags: dlink backdoor programming hacking router)