Skip to content
- Cheeky Nando’s, or, what went wrong? | Idiot Joy Showland
- Top bants of the apocalypse.
(tags: nandos apocalypse post-apocalyptic bants funny)
- Real Life First Person Shooter (Chatroulette version) – YouTube
- British film company put together a live action first person shooter and invited people on Chatroulette to play. The “making of” video linked at the end explains how they did it.
(tags: chatroulette shooter first-person live games)
- Work Hard, Live Well — Life Learning — Medium
- “So it is with deep sadness that I observe the current culture of intensity in the tech industry. My intellectual conclusion is that these companies are both destroying the personal lives of their employees and getting nothing in return. A candidate recently deciding between Asana and another fast growing company told me that the other team starts their dinners at 830pm to encourage people to stay late (he’s starting here in a few weeks). I also hear young developers frequently brag about “48 hour” coding sprints. This kind of attitude not only hurts young workers who are willing to “step up” to the expectation, but facilitates ageism and sexism by indirectly discriminating against people who cannot maintain that kind of schedule.”
(tags: work productivity rest crunch overtime)
- zenicurean: The freshness of these ideas, it burns.
- What’s new in the strategy board games world. Some of these do sound a bit familiar… (Via andrewducker).
(tags: games satire boardgames settlers germans)
- Striking Back Against Censorship — Blog — WordPress.com
- WordPress files suit against two people who misused the provisions of the USA’s Digital Millenium Copyright Act to suppress speech about them they don’t like. Bravo to WordPress, though as the miscreants are in the UK and India, I’m not sure how much good a California court will do.
(tags: wordpress dmca copyright law legal censorship)
- Find the Invisible Cow
- cow cow cow cow COW COW COWCOWCOW!
(tags: games sound cow funny)
- Like Worms in the Belly of Some Great Beast: Family Values and Crusader Kings II | Ruthless Culture
- Civ-type strategy video games encourage the player to see through the eyes of the self-perpetuating bureaucracy. Mentions the Iron Law of Oligarchy. Via Gareth Rees.
(tags: games politics hobbes oligarchy civilisation society charles-stross)
- Omniorthogonal: Hostile AI: You’re soaking in it!
- Unfriendly AI is already here, in the form of corporations.
(tags: ai corporations unfriendly)
- Hume 10 —Atheists Nil
- Simon Blackburn on Hume’s Dialogues: "So is Hume himself an atheist? The word does not fit, and he never so described himself. He is much too subtle. Philo the sceptic says that we cannot understand or know anything about a transcendent reality that explains or sustains the ongoing order of nature, while the theists like Demea say that we cannot understand or know anything about the transcendent reality, which is God, that explains or sustains the ongoing order of nature. Since the inserted clause does not help us in the least, the difference between them is merely verbal. And this is Hume’s conclusion."
(tags: religion hume atheism philosophy david-hume simon-blackburn)
- Riker sits down | MetaFilter
- Commander Riker has a way with chairs. The YouTube video is doing the rounds, but I’m linking to the Metafilter thread as it contains comments from "The Riker Who Mounts the World", as well as links to Wil Wheaton’s take on it.
(tags: chair funny enterprise riker video star-trek)
- Bad ideas from dead Germans | Meaningness
- "Outside of traditional Christianity, most of what counts as religion and “spirituality” in America nowadays is actually recycled German academic philosophy from two hundred years ago. This might sound absurd, or irrelevant. In this metablog series, I hope to show that it is true, and that it matters."
(tags: german philosophy spirituality idealism)
- From Otherkin to Transethnicity: Your Field Guide to the Weird World of Tumblr Identity Politics
- CHECK YOUR NON-OTHERKIN PRIVILEGE.
(tags: privilege identity-politics tumblr otherkin)