- Imaginary Positions – Less Wrong
- One I’d missed: Yudkowsky’s post on rounding to the “nearest cliche”.
(tags: cliche nearest eliezer-yudkowsky rationality)
- The world is not falling apart: The trend lines reveal an increasingly peaceful period in history.
- Steven Pinker argues we should look at trend lines rather than headlines.
(tags: statistics war politics violence world steven-pinker)
- A Pasta Sea: Elijah and the Apologist of Baal
- 1 Kings 18 re-imagined as if Baal had a William Lane Craig on his side. Fun times. “A Pasta Sea” is a good name for an ex-Christian blog, too.
(tags: bible apologetics ahab baal elijah funny parody)
- A&E in crisis: a special report – Telegraph
- “As the NHS faces its worst winter in years, Robert Colvile provides an in-depth, first-hand account of the pressures facing the health service.” Interesting: combination of people unable to see a GP quickly enough and hospitals unable to turf old people to social care quickly enough. Targets sometimes provide perverse incentives.
(tags: nhs health healthcare medicine hospital)
- Free exchange: Nice work if you can get out | The Economist
- Why the rich now have less leisure than the poor. Via WMC on FB.
(tags: leisure work economist)