Skip to content
- Cheeky Nando’s, or, what went wrong? | Idiot Joy Showland
- Top bants of the apocalypse.
(tags: nandos apocalypse post-apocalyptic bants funny)
- Real Life First Person Shooter (Chatroulette version) – YouTube
- British film company put together a live action first person shooter and invited people on Chatroulette to play. The “making of” video linked at the end explains how they did it.
(tags: chatroulette shooter first-person live games)
- Work Hard, Live Well — Life Learning — Medium
- “So it is with deep sadness that I observe the current culture of intensity in the tech industry. My intellectual conclusion is that these companies are both destroying the personal lives of their employees and getting nothing in return. A candidate recently deciding between Asana and another fast growing company told me that the other team starts their dinners at 830pm to encourage people to stay late (he’s starting here in a few weeks). I also hear young developers frequently brag about “48 hour” coding sprints. This kind of attitude not only hurts young workers who are willing to “step up” to the expectation, but facilitates ageism and sexism by indirectly discriminating against people who cannot maintain that kind of schedule.”
(tags: work productivity rest crunch overtime)
- Lindy Hop Event Organizers Conversation on Creating Safer Dance Spaces – YouTube
- An hour’s conversation between various scene and event organisers on codes of conduct and whatnot. Including the Swing Patrol UK’s Scott Cupit, and Nina Gilkenson of Mobtown Ballroom, whose CoC I’ve previously linked to. Good stuff. One thing I didn’t realise is that organisers are regularly giving offenders the boot but doing so quietly so people don’t get scared. Organisers don’t want to stop the party (are camps total debauches only in the USA, or do I just not get invited to the right afterparties?), want to treat people as adults (Cupit rejects the idea of CoC specially for teachers on that basis), and don’t want to police every damn social interaction. OTOH recognise that there’s a groundswell for more explicit policies and enforcement.
(tags: lindyhop lindy-hop sexual-assault dance dancing)
- What ISIS Really Wants – The Atlantic
- “The Islamic State is no mere collection of psychopaths. It is a religious group with carefully considered beliefs, among them that it is a key agent of the coming apocalypse. Here’s what that means for its strategy—and for how to stop it.” Via Mefi.
(tags: isis islam war terrorism caliphate apocalypse)