- post modern C tooling – draft 5
- ‘My ties to England have loosened’: John le Carré on Britain, Boris and Brexit | Books | The Guardian
- “At 87, le Carré is publishing his 25th novel. He talks to John Banville about our ‘dismal statesmanship’ and what he learned from his time as a spy”
(tags: spies intelligence MI5 MI6 le-carre politics)
- The New Zealand Shootings: The Untold Stories | GQ
- A moving account of the shootings and their aftermath. Via Metafilter.
(tags: shooting terrorism racism new-zealand)
- How Derren Brown Remade Mind Reading for Skeptics | The New Yorker
- Introducing Derren Brown to the Americans. Via Mefi.
(tags: magic derren-brown mentalism)
- WSJ, WaPo, NYT Spread False Internet Law Claims | Cato @ Liberty
- Rebutting nonsense about the supposed publisher/platform distinction in Section 230 of the US’s Communications Decency Act. From the Cato Institute, so can’t be dismissed as leftist propaganda.
(tags: law censorship internet)
- Brexit is a necessary crisis – it reveals Britain’s true place in the world | David Edgerton | Opinion | The Guardian
- Makes the point that the Tories are no longer the party of business. As a result “The state can no longer undertake the radical planning and intervention that might make Brexit work. That would require not only an expert state, but one closely aligned with business. The preparations would by now be very visible at both technical and political levels. But we have none of that.”
(tags: capitalism business conservatives brexit)
- Supreme Court ruling is the natural result of Boris Johnson’s constitutional vandalism | News | The Times
- Lord Sumption on the Supreme Court ruling: Parliament is the forum for compromise. Boris Johnson tried to circumvent it. So the judges had to make its role explicit.
(tags: law brexit court boris-johnson)
- ‘We May Have to Shoot Down This Aircraft’ – POLITICO Magazine
- Oral history of the events of 9/11. Odd that the USAF doesn’t seem to have the equivalent of the RAF’s QRA fighters (although there’s clearly a lot more country to cover).
(tags: hijacking 911 transcript history)