- A fighter pilot on how to avoid collisions when driving
- It’s about saccades and detecting movement.
(tags: safety cycling driving fighter perception brain)
- Video & Audio: Is the Universe Designed? – an Atheist’s View
- Stephen Law talks at the Faraday Institute. Evil God Challenge gets most of the time, plus a bit of the new X-claim stuff.
(tags: stephen-law theodicy evil god faraday-institute lecture philosophy)
- Derren Brown: The miracle maker reveals his Christian past
- All the best people are ex-Christians.
(tags: derren-brown ex-christian premier)
- How The University of Chicago Could Have Done A Better Job Defending Free Speech | Popehat
- Popehat improves the wording of the letter.
(tags: university education trigger Chicago)
- The Author of a Best-Selling Abstinence Manifesto Is Sorry. Kind Of. Maybe.
- Joshua Harris reflects on “I Kissed Dating Goodbye”. Didn’t really catch on in the UK when I was an evangelical, as far as I remember. Probably a good thing!
(tags: dating evangelicalism joshua-harris book)
- What I learned as a hired consultant to autodidact physicists | Aeon Ideas
- “A typical problem is that, in the absence of equations, they project literal meanings onto words such as ‘grains’ of space-time or particles ‘popping’ in and out of existence. Science writers should be more careful to point out when we are using metaphors. My clients read way too much into pictures, measuring every angle, scrutinising every colour, counting every dash. Illustrators should be more careful to point out what is relevant information and what is artistic freedom. But the most important lesson I’ve learned is that journalists are so successful at making physics seem not so complicated that many readers come away with the impression that they can easily do it themselves. How can we blame them for not knowing what it takes if we never tell them?”
(tags: science physics culture pseudoscience)
- The Human Cost of Tech Debt – DaedTech
- BPS Research Digest: 10 of The Most Widely Believed Myths in Psychology
- Surprises of the Faraday Cage
- Something Feynman got wrong, apparently (and which was repeated in the electro-magnetism lectures at university, as I recall).
(tags: physics science feynman electromagnetism)