Allen sent me a link to an archived version of the old index page for my old machine, gabriel.chu.cam.ac.uk, which got me nicely nostaligic for a bit:
Three broad categories of people tend to get accounts:
- Friends who know more about Linux than me and can help out with sysadmin stuff.
- People I know who don’t have Unix access elsewhere.
- Women I am trying to impress.
That last one never worked, of course.
In other news, girlie is ill and so I have spent most of today watching crappy TV, reading and playing on Drogon. I should write some code for nilsimsa or the POP3 filtering proxy thing, but I can’t be bothered. Work tends to suck the enthusiasm out of me at the moment.
Today was my last day at work before going to Center Parcs in Elvden Forest for a week with friends. We were leaving tomorrow.
Letting agent rang to say that bloke she sents round to garden had noticed some kids hanging around the house. This was rather vague so decided not to leave work and have a look. Got back today to find back patio window smashed (though not broken as it is double glazed). No signs of an attempt to force entry, so I assume they just did it for the hell of it. Anyone know any cheap video solutions for Linux? May as well make some more use of the permanently up machine.
I’m still taking the day off tomorrow regardless, I could do with a break.
Sainburys spam made the Register: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/23449.html
This had nothing to do with me emailing the editor, of course 🙂 (Actually, I bet a few other people did the same thing, but every bit helps).
So, Thom gave me a magic cookie and I made myself an account. Not entirely sure what I will use it for yet, but I expect I’ll think of something.
Things done today:
- Successfully got Sainsburys listed in SPEWS, as well as their spamming friends (well, I may have had a bit of help, but I claim that posting to uk.net and news.admin.net-abuse.email with the subject line “ATTN SPEWS” might have tipped it). Major supermarket chains quake at my words, I tell you.
- Went to Ed and Jacqui’s engagement party in some forgotten sub-basement of Trinity. There was glitter and dips and friends and people I’ve not seen for a while, so that was good. Danced one cha-cha but was wearing wrong sort of shoes so could not spin.
I publish an Atom feed of my comments on other people’s public posts. My comments on locked entries are not published. The program which produces the feed periodically checks that entries are still public, and treats entries which are new to it as private for a few hours in case they were made public accidentally. The feed is marked with various runes to ward off indexing by Google or other feed searching sites.
Still, if you don’t want the feed to include my comments on your public postings, you can opt out by filling in this poll. You’ll need to be logged in as the journal you want to opt-out. If you want to undo the opt-out, you can fill out the poll again and uncheck the box.
The opt-out is automatically checked once per day, so please allow that long for changes to take effect.
[ LJ Poll 1257467 ]