Skip to content
- Apologist Josh McDowell: Internet the Greatest Threat to Christians, Christian News
- McDowell is worried: “The Internet has given atheists, agnostics, skeptics, the people who like to destroy everything that you and I believe, the almost equal access to your kids as your youth pastor and you have… whether you like it or not.” Kind of revealing: McDowell is admitting that if you want to get kids into your religion, you need to get them young enough, before they've been exposed to other ideas.
(tags: internet apologetics josh-mcdowell christianity religion)
- BBC News – Austrian driver’s religious headgear strains credulity
- An Austrian atheist has won the right to be shown on his driving-licence photo wearing a pasta strainer as "religious headgear". This sounds sensible to me: if you're going to allow special privileges for religions, you should do so for all of them.
(tags: religion atheism funny pastafarianism ramen fsm)
- YouTube – Game of Thrones Violin Cover
- This is rather nice.
(tags: music violin game-of-thrones)
- YouTube – Lara plays the Game of Thrones theme on piano and violin
- Another nice version of the theme, via andrewducker.
(tags: music game-of-thrones tv)
- The Real Life Social Network v2
- Via andrewducker,a great presentation from Paul Adams at Google which goes some way to explaining the design of Google Plus.
(tags: internet facebook privacy relationships google social social-networks plus)
- How to Talk to a Fundamentalist (If You Must)
- Former fundie talks about how her uncle convinced her by asking questions, preventing the whole cached thought/semantic stop sign thing, and showing how alternative ways of living can be fulfilling.
(tags: fundamentalism religion quiverfull debate)
- Nick Davies on phone hacking, Murdoch and News of the World – video | Media | guardian.co.uk
- The investigative journalist Nick Davies on how the phone-hacking scandal has escalated, leading to News of the World's announced closure.
(tags: video law press news-of-the-world nick-davies murdoch)
- Unequally Yoked: Guestblogging Challenge: Take the Ideological Turing Test!
- A suggestion: if you want to show that you understand the other side's position, test whether you can be distinguished from a genuine advocate of that position in a suitably anonymous test.
(tags: philosophy debate turing)
- Theodicy: Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal
- Nice metaphor for "solutions" to the Problem of Evil.
(tags: theodicy philosophy comic religion)
- Distinguish – Butterflies and Wheels
- Ophelia Benson on the Geert Wilders thing: "Nobody should be required to love Islam."
(tags: islam geert-wilders religion)
- A field guide to bullshit – opinion – 13 June 2011 – New Scientist
- "How do people defend their beliefs in bizarre conspiracy theories or the power of crystals? Philosopher Stephen Law has tips for spotting their strategies." A bit similar to my Bad Arguments stuff: Law has "everything is based on faith" as the so-called "nuclear option". An interesting article, might buy the book he's plugging.
(tags: religion science empiricism sceptism philosophy new-age)