- Patching the Newton | Dadhacker
- “So, how do you fix bugs in a ROM, if you can’t change the image? The basic idea is that you litter the code with indirect jumps that go through a jump table that’s been copied to RAM. When you need to patch something, chances are that you can do tricky and unnatural things to get control at the right spot, fix things up and continue.” This technique hasn’t gone away, of course. Tricky and unnatural = fun.
(tags: programming patch dadhacker rom)
- Not Everyone Is Beautiful | Mindless Productivity
- “It builds the self-esteem, makes people feel valued, and spreads joy and happiness across the internet. It’s also bullshit.”
(tags: beauty society)
- The Best Of The Queen Vs. “Game Of Thrones”
- Best one: Windsor is coming.
(tags: game-of-thrones queen uk royalty)
- Tony Blair, dread creature of the forbidden swamp | Idiot Joy Showland
- Author does not like Blair very much.
(tags: funny horror tony-blair politics)
- ▶ Game of Thrones Theme – Swamp Donkeys at BB King’s – YouTube
- Awesome. Via Andy at Lindy.
(tags: music game-of-thrones swing new-orleans)
- Things That Sometimes Help If You Have Depression | Slate Star Codex
- Scott continues to write excellent stuff, this time about depression.
(tags: depression psychology psychiatry antidepressants)
- The Fall Of Intrade And The Business Of Betting On Real Life
- “There’s always been a thin line between investing and gambling, and one firm turned the concept into a multimillion-dollar industry until the government shut it down. As number crunchers like Nate Silver become cultural touchstones, how does Intrade’s fate predict the future of how we process the world?”
(tags: prediction gambling intrade law business betting markets elections)
- Not two UKIPs, three UKIPs. | The Yorkshire Ranter
- “So, basically, we have a ramshackle coalition of the grumpy. The biggest single group in it would like to vent intestinal gas, and wants its NHS and its BBC and its institutions in general. The second-biggest group either wants to sell all of those, or doesn’t care as long as they get to be an MEP. The smallest group is either obsessed by the EU, or else by Alan Clark diary fantasies, and has the most seniority in the party’s organisation, but also the least professionalism.”
(tags: ukip politics election)